Ideal gas piston in a cylinder question

In summary, the chemical reaction vessel has a piston/cylinder arrangement with gaseous products at 250 KPa and 300C. The 50 kg piston has a diameter of 0.1 m and initially pushes against a set of stops, limiting the volume to 0.9 m. As heat is transferred to the surroundings, the gas cools and the pressure in the cylinder decreases. The force of gravity on the piston is 490 N and the force of the outside atmosphere is 100 kPa. Once the pressure in the cylinder drops below a certain value, the piston begins to move down. At this point, the temperature of the gas is lower than the initial temperature, but not lower than the surrounding temperature.
hahaha158

Homework Statement

A chemical reaction vessel has a piston/cylinder arrangement, shown in gure 1 above.
When the reaction is complete, the gaseous products are at 250 KPa and 300C and can
be considered an ideal gas. The 50 kg piston has a diameter of 0.1 m and initially pushes
against a set of stops such that the height of the column of gas is 0.9 m limiting the volume.
The surrounding atmosphere is at 100 kPa and 20C. The cylinder now cools as heat is
transferred to the ambient surroundings.

(b) At what pressure does the piston begin to move down? What is the temperature of the
gas at this point?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
Fg=mg
P=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that to find the amount of pressure for the piston to move i could just find Fg=(9.8)(50)=490. Multiply that by the area of the piston and that would give the pressure to hold up the piston which would be around 62.4KPa. I then equated that with the given values of Pi=250000 Pa and Ti=573.15 K and solved for T which came out to be 143.12 K. Looking at the answer I don't think it is right because the T is not between the initial temperature of the gas or the surroundings, so I don't think that the gas can cool past the surrounding temperature. What am i doing wrong? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hahaha158 said:

Homework Statement

A chemical reaction vessel has a piston/cylinder arrangement, shown in gure 1 above.
When the reaction is complete, the gaseous products are at 250 KPa and 300C and can
be considered an ideal gas. The 50 kg piston has a diameter of 0.1 m and initially pushes
against a set of stops such that the height of the column of gas is 0.9 m limiting the volume.
The surrounding atmosphere is at 100 kPa and 20C. The cylinder now cools as heat is
transferred to the ambient surroundings.

(b) At what pressure does the piston begin to move down? What is the temperature of the
gas at this point?

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
Fg=mg
P=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that to find the amount of pressure for the piston to move i could just find Fg=(9.8)(50)=490. Multiply that by the area of the piston and that would give the pressure to hold up the piston which would be around 62.4KPa. I then equated that with the given values of Pi=250000 Pa and Ti=573.15 K and solved for T which came out to be 143.12 K. Looking at the answer I don't think it is right because the T is not between the initial temperature of the gas or the surroundings, so I don't think that the gas can cool past the surrounding temperature. What am i doing wrong?

Thanks

Lets first focus on the gas in the cylinder. The gas is cooling at constant volume (right?) and constant number of moles. So can you predict using the ideal gas law how the pressure in the cylinder varies with the temperature in the cylinder as the gas cools?

Let's look at the piston as a free body. What is the force of gravity acting on the piston (you already calculated that)? What is the force of the outside atmosphere on the piston? What other forces are acting on the piston? Is the piston at static equilibrium before it loses contact with the stops? What happens once the pressure in the cylinder drops below the critical value at which the piston starts moving?

What is an ideal gas piston in a cylinder?

An ideal gas piston in a cylinder is a theoretical model used to analyze the behavior of gases under certain conditions. It assumes that the gas particles have no volume and do not interact with each other, allowing for simpler calculations.

What are the assumptions of an ideal gas piston in a cylinder?

The assumptions of an ideal gas piston in a cylinder include the gas particles having no volume, no intermolecular forces, and the collisions between particles and the walls of the container being perfectly elastic. It also assumes that the gas is at a constant temperature and that the piston is frictionless.

How does an ideal gas piston in a cylinder work?

In an ideal gas piston in a cylinder, the gas particles are constantly colliding with the walls of the container and the piston, creating a pressure that pushes against the piston. As the piston moves, it changes the volume of the container and therefore affects the pressure and temperature of the gas.

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, and temperature of an ideal gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature in Kelvin.

What factors affect the behavior of an ideal gas piston in a cylinder?

The behavior of an ideal gas piston in a cylinder is affected by several factors including the initial conditions of the gas (pressure, volume, and temperature), the number of moles of gas, and the gas constant. Changes in these factors can cause the gas to behave differently and affect the pressure, volume, and temperature of the gas.