GAS numbers stamped on armatures -- what do they mean?

In summary, the speaker is looking for information about the meaning of a "GAS" number stamped on approx. 200+ armatures, which they believe are from vintage motorcycle generators. They are unsure of the manufacturer and would like to identify the armatures. A potential source of information is a link provided, but it may not fully answer the question. The speaker also mentions an active auction for an Indian Scout/Chief GAS-3237 DC generator armature on eBay.
Brian Lawrence
I was wondering and this might be a stupid question... I have approx. 200+ armatures with a GAS number stamped on them Like "GAS 3237". There are probably 20 different numbers or so. Where can I find a list of what these numbers are or mean?

Engineering news on Phys.org
"Armature" can have several different meanings.
Are you referring to motor armatures? If yes, AC or DC?
Who is the manufacturer?

The more information you provide, the greater the chance for a good answer.

Likes AlexCaledin
I believe the armatures to be from vintage motorcycle generators, as I bought a motorcycle parts hoard and these were in there.
So they should be dc, manufacturer I haven't a clue, but a lot of them have this GAS number, and I'd like to be able to identify them if at all possible.

Brian Lawrence said:
I believe the armatures to be from vintage motorcycle generators, as I bought a motorcycle parts hoard and these were in there.
So they should be dc, manufacturer I haven't a clue, but a lot of them have this GAS number, and I'd like to be able to identify them if at all possible.
Google finds this, which seems to get closer:

http://www.splitdorfreg.com/Autolite Information/Autolite_GAS_Installation.htm

Not sure it answers your question though...

@berkeman nailed it.
eBay has an active auction for an Indian Scout/Chief GAS-3237 DC generator armature.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Indian-Chief-Indian-Scout-Generator-Armature-looks-NOS-GAS-3237/322916654310?hash=item4b2f551ce6:g:nbkAAOSwrFtaIenk&vxp=mtr

I saw that there was one on Ebay. Weird?

Brian Lawrence said:
I saw that there was one on Ebay. Weird?
Or a Goldmine!

Related to GAS numbers stamped on armatures -- what do they mean?

What are GAS numbers stamped on armatures?

GAS numbers stamped on armatures refer to a unique identification number that is assigned to a specific armature. This number is used to track and identify the armature throughout its lifecycle.

Why are GAS numbers important?

GAS numbers are important because they allow for easy identification and tracking of armatures. This is especially useful in industries where many armatures are used, such as manufacturing or automotive.

How are GAS numbers assigned?

GAS numbers are usually assigned by the manufacturer of the armature. They may use a specific numbering system or follow industry standards for assigning these numbers.

Do GAS numbers have any specific meaning?

GAS numbers do not have a specific meaning in terms of their numerical value. However, they may contain information about the manufacturer, production date, or other relevant details.

Is there a standard format for GAS numbers?

While there are no industry-wide standards for GAS numbers, many manufacturers use a consistent format for their numbers. This may include a combination of letters and numbers, and may vary in length.