Gasoline what expansion, also what pressure?

• Thread starter Flantoons
  • Start date
Hello,

Help me work this out please.
(this is NOT a homework question, I am trying to make a machine)

I have a metal tube filled with gasoline.

The tube inside is 1 cm sq x 10 cm in length.

If I raise the temp of the gas from 20 deg C to 40 deg C, how much gas will spill out of the tube.?

If the tube was sealed, what pressure would be exerted on the ENDS of the tube?

Thank you?

Answers and Replies

Thanks, but that doesn't help me, because I don't understand how to use all those equations. I'm not lazy, just stupid, so I am asking someone to work it out for me please.

Danger
Gold Member
I'm not lazy, just stupid,
Welcome to PF, Flantoons.
Generally speaking 'stupid' and 'gasoline' don't go together very well. (I'm sure that you're not stupid, though; just lacking knowledge.)
I mean no insult or disrespect. I'm just urging you to exercise caution and keep safety formost. :smile:

berkeman
Mentor
Thanks, but that doesn't help me, because I don't understand how to use all those equations. I'm not lazy, just stupid, so I am asking someone to work it out for me please.
Can you please tell us the application?

I was thinking of trying to use expand ice or expanding gasoline to make an engine.

Here is a sketch of how it works:
http://www.flantoons.co.uk/no-gas-engine001.jpg

Questions:
1. How much does gasoline expand....say from 20 degrees C upwards? (as a liquid)

2. What pressure does gasoline exert as it expands?

3. Can I use a better liquid to make my idea work?

Thank you.

Danger
Gold Member
I still can't help with any numbers, but it appears that you're building basically a modified Sterling engine. Maybe try Googling that to get some ideas.

negitron
Science Advisor
3. Can I use a better liquid to make my idea work?
Yes, any liquid that won't burn your face off if it ignites accidentally. There's a reason gasoline is the primary ingredient in Napalm and it ain't because it smells good in the morning.

negitron
Science Advisor
Looking around, it seems ethyl alcohol has one of the higher thermal coefficients of expansion among commonly-available fluids, better even than gasoline.

Ranger Mike
Science Advisor
Gold Member
ditto on alcohol for fuel...also love smell of Napalm in the morning...beats the smell of the burning latrines