Gastrointestinal delights

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various unusual and potentially dangerous dishes from around the world. Some of the dishes include rotted shark, sour ram's testicles, sour lamb, sour seal flippers, sour whale-fat, rotted stingray, and 'burned' sheep-heads. The conversation also touches on the delicacy of fugu fish in Japan, which requires special training and licensing to prepare due to its poisonous parts. The conversation highlights the risks involved in eating these dishes and the precautions that must be taken in their preparation.
Owch man, that is one heavy allergy

Physics news on Phys.org
turbo-1 said:
I am the canary in the coal mine.
You poor thing!

One of my clients is a milling company and a few years ago there was a fiasco with wheat getting mixed in with corn and a lot of people are allergic to wheat. He refers to it as the "great corn debacle". They mill for some very large companies. I guess if you don't make it yourself, you never know what you're getting.

brewnog said:
I've eaten food from all over the world, including the putrified shark mentioned on your list.
:yuck:

However, I take sincere exception to the comments raised about Yorkshire Pudding. The reviewer of that article must have either been smoking something, or served with something that definitely wasn't Yorkshire Pud. Hmph.
I saw that. :devil: I love yorkshire pudding, it's one of my favorite childhood memories (my grandmother was English) and every Sunday we had roast beef and yorkshire pudding. :!)

Evo said:

I saw that. :devil: I love yorkshire pudding, it's one of my favorite childhood memories (my grandmother was English) and every Sunday we had roast beef and yorkshire pudding. :!)

Well good, sis! Stop perpetuating the negatively oriented Yorkshire Pudding myths then! Tsk! x

Evo said:

Haha we always begged my mom to make yorkshire pudding when she made a roast, I love those things. Her family is English to so grandma always made them for us to...best part of the meal. My grandma on my dad's side is russian and always made us cabbage rolls, perogies, saurkraut buns...ect so I have the best of both worlds :!)

Panda Express has a lot of sugar in the orange chicken. I love it anyway.:smile: And I wash it down with a Pepsi that has benzine in it.

Moonbear said:
If that's what you consider good orange chicken, you've been seriously deprived. I love orange chicken, but not from Panda Express. :yuck:

I have tried orange chicken from countless places, until I gave up. I ONLY like it from panda express.

Today I had the sweet and spicy boneless wings from KFC and they were so good O_O (well, not as good as the boneless wings at pizza hut, by wingstreet or whatever) The only fast food I eat is chick fil a, panda express, and KFC (rarely)... The rest is horrible... Anyway, jeez, panda express.. yummy

edward said:
Panda Express has a lot of sugar in the orange chicken. I love it anyway.:smile: And I wash it down with a Pepsi that has benzine in it.
Yessss, I remember getting out of class at 12:45 and having a craving for orange chicken and pepsi. The pepsi in those machines was so much better than at anywhere else I have been. I really wonder why... :(

^^^ Ughh KFC is something I just cannot eat. Where I used to work they used to buy us lunch every saturday, and once in awhile they brought KFC, the bags were covered in grease by the time we got it, and it just tastes so bad. I got sick from it every time lol.

What's the difference between PF Chang's and Pei Wei?

I hate authentic orange chicken, it tastes like crap...Panda Express makes the best orange chicken,I don't care if it's not authentic...

KFC is petty good too

yomamma said:
I hate authentic orange chicken, it tastes like crap...Panda Express makes the best orange chicken,I don't care if it's not authentic...
They do make the best orange chicken I've ever tasted.

Math Is Hard said:
A guy I work with makes this copy-cat Panda Orange chicken recipe and he says it tastes like the real deal:
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/525/Panda_Express_Orange_Chicken31444.shtml
No orange in the orange sauce? They mention that you can add orange peel as an afterthought. I could swear that there is orange cooked in the sauce. Now I'll have to buy it to refresh my memory. :biggrin:

Evo, do you have a PF Chang's near you? Try the orange peel chicken there. It is incredible!:!)
If you say it's that good, I will take your word and try it.

Evo said:
No orange in the orange sauce? They mention that you can add orange peel as an afterthought. I could swear that there is orange cooked in the sauce. Now I'll have to buy it to refresh my memory. :biggrin:
I wonder if that's really the right recipe. Maybe it's a copycat recipe of the General Tso's chicken? Even the lousy stuff at Panda Express must have something orange in it, even if it's fake orange flavoring. For good orange chicken, it has to have lots of orange peel in it. Then again, I'm not sure I've ever seen a chili in anything at Panda Express...their food is way too sweet and bland and not a bit spicy.

Yomamma, authentic orange chicken? I don't think there's any such thing. I'm pretty sure that's one of those Americanized dishes.

Oh, now I really miss my former neighbor. When I was a kid, the neighbor, who is Chinese, made the most delicious food! I used to have her recipe around somewhere for making green onion pancakes, but they still never tasted as good as hers! Now I want some! :cry: And there's nothing better than homemade wantons! :approve:

Moonbear said:
Yomamma, authentic orange chicken? I don't think there's any such thing. I'm pretty sure that's one of those Americanized dishes.
hmmm...

well it's better than sweet&sour chicken

which is authentic, I think

moose said:
What's the difference between PF Chang's and Pei Wei?
Dunno. Are they owned by the same company? I don't think I have seen any Pei Wei's out where I live.

Moonbear said:
I wonder if that's really the right recipe. Maybe it's a copycat recipe of the General Tso's chicken? Even the lousy stuff at Panda Express must have something orange in it, even if it's fake orange flavoring.
Blasphemy! Maybe you just have a crummy Panda franchise. People wait in line here for the Panda's orange chicken.

Evo said:
Blasphemy! Maybe you just have a crummy Panda franchise. People wait in line here for the Panda's orange chicken.
It's a mall, people wait in line for everything! :biggrin: When your choice is Panda Express or McDonald's, sure, Panda Express is better. I've actually eaten at several Panda Expresses...they're in a lot of malls. It all tastes the same.

Moonbear said:
It's a mall, people wait in line for everything! :biggrin: When your choice is Panda Express or McDonald's, sure, Panda Express is better. I've actually eaten at several Panda Expresses...they're in a lot of malls. It all tastes the same.
<gasp>

No, people will stand off to the side and wait for a new pan of orange chicken to come out because it's the only thing they went there to eat. I even waited and I never wait. This is the only "sweet on meat" item I consume.

Ok, we're going to arrange a blind taste test. :devil:

The fried rice at panda express is also pretty good, at times. Over the summer I had a schedule in mind of the two times a week that there was the best orange chicken and best fried rice at the same time. The orange chicken was always good, but when this one guy made it, it was to die for. The fried rice ranged from OK to really good. It was heaven those two times a week that I got them both at once :smile:

This one guy who works at panda express fakes an accent while on the job completely. When I asked him what time they close, he told me without an accent AT ALL "8 o'clock"... I was like

What makes fugu disgusting? It is just fish that could kill you if your cook didn't cut it right.

Wendys
Tacco Bell
McDonalds
KFC
Panda Express
Burger King
We all know those are good... except for McDonald's and Taco Bell.

Mk said:
We all know those are good... except for McDonald's and Taco Bell.
Hey, the Taco Bell soft steak tacos with cilantro lime sauce were actually yummy. (yes, the Child of Evo takes me to junk food places) The only good thing at McDonald's were their salads.

Now Hardee's (Carl Jr's) thick angus burgers are to die for. I don't care that their sourdough burger is 1,040 calories, really, I don't. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I had some Panda Express "food" in a Scottsdale mall a few months ago. I don't even remember what it was, so you can guess how memorable it was...sorry Evo!

American fast food is indeed horrible. I was traveling with a friend, who had never been to the states before. We had to wait a couple of hours in Atlanta for our connecting flight. She was apalled that such a large airport did not have a single place where you can find a decent meal. I just smiled at here and said "Welcome to the States!".

This being said, there are plenty of places where you can eat very well in the States. These tend to be local diners more often then not. I usually stay clear of large fast food chains.

gruniad said:
Holland

The quintessential Dutch food experience is the FEBO snack automat...

Likewise the day a Dutch flatmate cooked us what she swore was a delicious traditional dish, then brought in a pan of reconstituted powdered mash, kale and tinned frankfurters.

Even the more appealing Dutch treats, such as double-fried chips with mayonnaise, are spoilt by lack of care: the oil for the second frying is often stale, while the mayo is a form of sickly, watery industrial run-off.

Thankfully, the Dutch Indonesians have improved things a little by injecting much needed care and spice into the national diet.
I think we covered FEBO and chips in another thread that the Belgian contingent took over :wink:

The highlighted bit is actually good food - though this person didn't give it much respect. It's called Stompot and there are a few ways of making it... but not with powered mash and frankfurters!

Obviously, you use proper potatoes; mash them up and mix with the curly greens, then place a sausage on top.

Not any sausage mind - the best are the ones that come from HEMA! (really, that's no joke).

Oh, and Inodesian food isn't that great - the North Africans and Middle Eastians who have moved over have much better food :smile:

Surinam food is the best IMO :) Have a lamb squworma (sp?) type thing there and try the green sauce if you dare...

Its the spiciest food I have ever had, I felt my throat start to swell.

Dutch food really is bad though, you have to admit. I remember one time going to a "Greek" restaurant near the pijp, it was run by some Eygptons?

Anttech said:
Dutch food really is bad though, you have to admit. I remember one time going to a "Greek" restaurant near the pijp, it was run by some Eygptons?
Makes sense, the Ptolemaic dynasty ruled over Egypt for 300 years (think Cleopatra) and were actually Macedonians. :wink:

J77 said:
Obviously, you use proper potatoes; mash them up and mix with the curly greens, then place a sausage on top.
Now that actually sounds good.

Makes sense, the Ptolemaic dynasty ruled over Egypt for 300 years (think Cleopatra) and were actually Macedonians.
Whats a Macedonian? :rolleyes:

(And yeh you are right, thus the name Alexandria. There are still parts of Alexandria that speak greek. Saint Nektarious, the last Orthodox Saint was ordained as a priest there.) But still...

The only fast food place that I can really say I love is Tim Hortons...I think the rest is disgusting. I love it there...no greasy nasty junk. They make the best coffee, soups, sandwiches, croissants, muffins, cookies...and of course the ice caps! There is nothing there I don't like.

scorpa said:
The only fast food place that I can really say I love is Tim Hortons...I think the rest is disgusting. I love it there...no greasy nasty junk. They make the best coffee, soups, sandwiches, croissants, muffins, cookies...and of course the ice caps! There is nothing there I don't like.
Tim Hortons is starting to creep into Maine from Canada. I still won't eat there because of my sensitivity to MSG, but I have a friend from near the NB border that absolutely raves about the place, and he is not a fast-food fan.

turbo-1 said:
Tim Hortons is starting to creep into Maine from Canada. I still won't eat there because of my sensitivity to MSG, but I have a friend from near the NB border that absolutely raves about the place, and he is not a fast-food fan.

Does Tim Hortons have MSG in a lot of it's food or are you just not eating there because you need to be very cautious with your allergy and don't want to risk it? Really all they have there is soups, sandwiches and donuts so I don't know if those would contain MSG...or maybe they would I don't know.I always thought it was just a chinese food thing until I read your other post.

That orange chicken and especially the Pepsi with benzene made me hungry.

scorpa said:
Does Tim Hortons have MSG in a lot of it's food or are you just not eating there because you need to be very cautious with your allergy and don't want to risk it? Really all they have there is soups, sandwiches and donuts so I don't know if those would contain MSG...or maybe they would I don't know.I always thought it was just a chinese food thing until I read your other post.
It's not really an allergy - it's a severe physiological reaction to a toxin, and I can't alleviate the effects with antihistamines, etc. I won't risk eating in any restaurant because the people preparing the food don't even know that they're putting MSG in it. When they use pre-packaged sauces, seasoning mixes, etc, they could be loading your food with MSG under one or more pseudonyms and not even know it. Nearly every commercially-available soup has MSG in it, as does every major brand of canned tuna, most prepared meats and, more recently, pork and chicken that has been injected with it (along with water to boost the weight). Dried soups, boullions, and most sauces and dressings are loaded with it. Our food supply is being intentionally contaminated with this stuff with no real oversight. Like I said earlier, unless the additive is at least 97% pure MSG, "MSG" or even the word "glutamate" does not have to appear on the label. If you have canned foods in your pantry, check the labels. Every time you eat something containing "natural flavors", "modified food starch", modified vegetable protein", "autolyzed yeast" (and at least 50 other aliases), you are eating MSG. I was not born with this sensitivity. I developed it over the years, as did my cousin. We both traveled a lot in our work and had to eat in restaurants, which was probably a sensitizing factor for both of us, and perhaps genetics played a role. Anyway, we are not alone:

http://members.aol.com/greenmagik/nsmsg.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
"MSG" or even the word "glutamate" does not have to appear on the label.
Oh, geez, you do realize that glutamate is a completely naturally occurring amino acid, right? It's in pretty much everything, and your own body even makes it. The sodium form is also naturally occurring, in pretty high concentration in things like tomatoes, which you seem to be okay eating. So, we can make it easy for you if that's what you want...we can just stamp "glutamate" on every product label in the store if that really helps.

Your reaction of calling it a toxin and insisting we all need to be protected from it because you have a sensitivity to it is like saying we all need to be protected from lactose and milk products because some people have a sensitivity or allergy to that.

Moonbear said:
Oh, geez, you do realize that glutamate is a completely naturally occurring amino acid, right?
Yes, I do. The additive industry processes foods and food by-products in order to form MSG, which is then added in concentrated form to processed foods. Your body takes up MSG much quicker than it takes up the glutamic acid in natural foods, which can be a factor in its apprent neurotoxicity in sensitized subjects. I can eat corn, tomatoes, mushrooms, beets, etc with impunity, although they contain the raw amino acid because it is in a natural form that the body uptakes slowly as the foods are digested.

The fact that some people like myself have life-threatening reactions should be motivation enough to force real disclosure instead of the "aliases". Heck, companies make label disclosures when a product has been made in a plant that also processes peanuts. How much would the labeling change cost? The problem with food-additive industry has is that if they had to disclose that the "natural flavors" injected into turkey breast was 40% MSG, people might not buy the turkey and sales of MSG would drop. I wrote to my congressman asking for some kind of action on this (his party controlled the House Agriculture comittee), and got a form letter in reply. Of course Con Agra and Archer-Daniels-Midland love to pay to have comittee members speak to them at breakfast...that might have a bearing on his lack of interest.

I checked my canned tuna and the ingredients were "light tuna, vegetable broth (soybean), water and salt" no "natural flavors". What's so funny is that is has "Allergy Warning - contains tuna" :bugeye: I sure hope so, it's a can of tuna. :rofl:

Last edited: