Gauge Invariance of the Schrodinger Equation

In summary, the Schrodinger equation can be written as a transformation involving the potential and wavefunction. This transformation is gauge invariant and can be simplified by using the exponential factor. This simplification allows for the operator to act on the wavefunction twice, leading to the conclusion that the transformed Schrodinger equation holds for all functions.
Diracobama2181
TL;DR Summary
Find in a quick way to prove gauge invariance without entailing a ton of messy math
Given the schrodinger equation of the form $$-i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t}=-\frac{1}{2m}(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A)^2+q\phi$$
I can plug in the transformations $$A'=A-\nabla \lambda$$ , $$\phi'=\phi-\frac{\partial \lambda}{\partial t}$$, $$\psi'=e^{-\frac{iq\lambda}{\hbar c}}\psi$$
$$-i\hbar\frac{\partial \psi'}{\partial t}=(-\frac{1}{2m}(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A+\frac{q}{c}\nabla \lambda)^2+q\phi-q\frac{\partial \lambda}{\partial t})\psi'$$.

Now when act on $$\psi'$$ on the right hand side, I come across the term $$(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A+\frac{q}{c}\nabla \lambda)^2\psi'$$
I now that $$(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A+\frac{q}{c}\nabla \lambda)\psi'=e^{-\frac{iq\lambda}{\hbar c}}(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A)\psi$$, but can I just say that $$(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A+\frac{q}{c}\nabla \lambda)^2\psi'=e^{-\frac{iq\lambda}{\hbar c}}(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A)^2\psi$$, and if so, why? (In other words, is there a reason why I could simply do this twice rather than multiplying everything out, which gets messy). Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not? Your exponential factor is just a number, and it commutes with every operator inside the parentheses.

The exponential is not just a number, because ##\lambda=\lambda(t,\vec{x})##. The problem with #1 is the gauge transformation of the em. field and several sign mistakes. The SGE reads (with ##\hbar=c=1##)
$$\mathrm{i} \partial_t \psi = -\frac{1}{2m} (-\mathrm{i} \vec{\nabla}-q \vec{A})^2 \psi + q \phi \psi.$$
Now you make
$$\psi'=\exp(\mathrm{i} q \lambda), \quad \vec{A}'=\vec{A}+\vec{\nabla} \lambda, \quad \phi=\phi-\partial_t \lambda.$$
Then ##\psi'## with the potentials ##\phi'## and ##\vec{A}'## fullfills the same SGE as ##\psi## with the potentials ##\phi## and ##\vec{A}##, i.e., the physics is invariant under gauge transformations, because ##\psi'## differs from ##\psi## only by a phase factor and the potentials only by a gauge transformation, which doesn't change the physical fields ##\vec{E}## and ##\vec{B}##.

Likes Diracobama2181, bhobba and Mentz114
I know it is gauge invariant. I suppose it is not clear the issue I am having. I know it is the case that
$$(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A+\frac{q}{c}\nabla \lambda)\psi'=e^{-\frac{iq\lambda}{\hbar c}}(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A)\psi$$.
I want to know if it is trivially true that $$(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A+\frac{q}{c}\nabla \lambda)^2\psi'=e^{-\frac{iq\lambda}{\hbar c}}(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A)^2\psi$$. In other words could I simply just say that the operator $$(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A+\frac{q}{c}\nabla \lambda)$$ acts on $$\psi'$$ twice., or do I need to show that $$(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A+\frac{q}{c}\nabla \lambda)e^{-\frac{iq\lambda}{\hbar c}}(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A)\psi=e^{-\frac{iq\lambda}{\hbar c}}(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A)^2\psi$$?.

If you understand why the first equation in your post #4 holds, it should be obvious that also the last equation holds. I am not really sure what you want to shortcut here...

Likes Diracobama2181 and vanhees71
You don't need to do anything more to "short cut". If the 1st. equation in #4 holds for all (sic) functions ##\psi##, then the 2nd equation follows immediately without any further calculation.

Likes bhobba
Perhaps it is a silly question. I was just wondering why it held. Thank you.

Well, did you go through the logic that leads to the first equation? Can you apply the same reasoning with ##\Phi = (-i\hbar\nabla - q/c A)\Psi## as a the function?

Likes Diracobama2181
So $$(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A+\frac{q}{c}\nabla \lambda)\psi'=(-i\hbar \nabla e^{-\frac{iq \lambda}{\hbar c}}\psi -\frac{q}{c}Ae^{-\frac{iq \lambda}{\hbar c}}\psi+\frac{q}{c}\nabla \lambda e^{-\frac{iq \lambda}{\hbar c}}\psi)=(-\frac{q}{c}\nabla\lambda e^{-\frac{iq \lambda}{\hbar c}} \psi-i\hbar \nabla\psi e^{-\frac{iq \lambda}{\hbar c}}-\frac{q}{c}Ae^{-\frac{iq \lambda}{\hbar c}}\psi+\frac{q}{c}\nabla \lambda e^{-\frac{iq \lambda}{\hbar c}}\psi)=e^{-\frac{iq \lambda}{\hbar c}}(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A)\psi$$.

The issue I am having trouble understanding is why this would imply $$(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A+\frac{q}{c}\nabla \lambda)^2\psi'=e^{-\frac{iq \lambda}{\hbar c}}(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A)^2\psi$$. Wouldn't $$(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A+\frac{q}{c}\nabla \lambda)$$ also act on $$(-i\hbar \nabla -\frac{q}{c}A)$$?

Wait. Just figured it out. Thank you.

What is gauge invariance in the Schrodinger equation?

Gauge invariance in the Schrodinger equation refers to the property of the equation that allows it to remain unchanged under certain transformations of the wavefunction. These transformations, known as gauge transformations, involve changing the phase of the wavefunction without affecting its physical properties.

Why is gauge invariance important in the Schrodinger equation?

Gauge invariance is important in the Schrodinger equation because it ensures that the equation accurately describes the physical system being studied. Without gauge invariance, the equation would be affected by arbitrary phase changes in the wavefunction, leading to incorrect results.

How does gauge invariance relate to the conservation of charge?

Gauge invariance is closely related to the conservation of charge in quantum mechanics. This is because gauge transformations involve changing the phase of the wavefunction, which is directly related to the electric charge of a particle. As a result, gauge invariance ensures that the Schrodinger equation accurately describes the conservation of charge in a system.

What are some examples of gauge invariance in the Schrodinger equation?

One example of gauge invariance in the Schrodinger equation is the addition of a constant phase to the wavefunction. This does not change the physical properties of the system, but it does change the overall phase of the wavefunction. Another example is the multiplication of the wavefunction by a complex number with a unit magnitude, known as a phase factor.

How does gauge invariance differ from global phase invariance?

Gauge invariance and global phase invariance are closely related concepts, but they differ in their scope. Gauge invariance applies to local transformations of the wavefunction, while global phase invariance applies to overall phase changes. In other words, gauge invariance allows for small, localized changes in the wavefunction, while global phase invariance only allows for changes to the entire wavefunction at once.