Gauge Theories on Particle Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses various recommendations for books on gauge theories, the standard model, and special relativity. The participants recommend Schwartz's "Quantum field theory and the Standard Model" and Landau/Lifshitz's "Classical Electromagnetism" as good resources for learning special relativity. They also mention Aitchison and Hey's book as a comprehensive option for self-study, but note that it may not be as pedagogical as other options. Overall, it is suggested to start with Shankar's "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" and then move on to these additional resources for a better understanding of the subject.
Andreol263
Well, I'm planning to learn from this book when i finish Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics, if it fulfills the requiriments in this part, but from where i can learn the Special Relativity necessary to tackle this book?

Physics news on Phys.org
Which book are you taking about? There are tons of books on gauge theories and the standard model. My favorite is

Schwartz, M. D.: Quantum field theory and the Standard Model, Cambridge University Press, 2014

Concerning special relativity, I recommend to read Landau/Lifshitz vol. II on classical electromagnetism (it also contains a very good introduction to general relativity, but this you won't need to start with QFT). It is the only book I know which really takes the modern (and in my opinion most satisfactory) approach to introduce E&M as a classical relativistic field theory. Another good introduction can be found in the Feynman Lectures vol. II.

Andreol263 said:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1466513179/?tag=pfamazon01-20
This book, so will suffice if i read Shankar? Or i will need to read Sakurai too?
These are excellent books. I think that Shankar is sufficient for QM (and Sakurai is really not a great textbook to learn from, in my opinion). But you definitely need to be very at ease with special relativity and with tensor manipulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not so enthusiastic about Aitchison and Hey. I don't know Shankar's textbook very well. Sakurai, from which I learned QM in my introductory course lecture, is excellent.

Thank you for yours answers!, so like recommended by vanhees71 i will get Landau Volume II, thank you all!

vanhees71 said:
I'm not so enthusiastic about Aitchison and Hey. I don't know Shankar's textbook very well. Sakurai, from which I learned QM in my introductory course lecture, is excellent.
That shows how picking books is subjective. That's why I never say that a book is great or a book is bad, I can only say that something is good or bad, in my opinion.

I Don't know, i picked up the Aitchison and Hey's book because it appears to have more content and good for self-studying, because this book has two volumes that summed up go to nearly 1000 pages!

Andreol263 said:
I Don't know, i picked up the Aitchison and Hey's book because it appears to have more content and good for self-studying, because this book has two volumes that summed up go to nearly 1000 pages!
Ok, but they also make a lot of effort to be pedagogical, I find.

Related to Gauge Theories on Particle Physics

1. What are gauge theories in particle physics?

Gauge theories are mathematical models used in particle physics to describe the interactions between subatomic particles. They involve the use of symmetries and mathematical fields to explain the behavior and properties of particles.

2. How do gauge theories explain the fundamental forces of nature?

Gauge theories explain the fundamental forces of nature by using the concept of gauge invariance, which means that the laws of physics remain unchanged under certain transformations. These transformations correspond to the fundamental forces, such as electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces.

3. What is the role of symmetry in gauge theories?

Symmetry plays a crucial role in gauge theories, as it allows for the conservation of important quantities such as energy and momentum. Gauge theories rely on the symmetry of physical laws to accurately describe the behavior of particles and their interactions.

4. How are gauge theories tested and validated?

Gauge theories are tested and validated through experimental observations, such as particle collisions in accelerators. Scientists also use mathematical calculations and simulations to predict and verify the behavior of particles based on gauge theories.

5. What is the significance of gauge theories in modern physics?

Gauge theories are considered to be one of the most successful and fundamental theories in modern physics. They provide a unified framework for understanding the behavior of particles and their interactions, and have been crucial in the development of theories such as the Standard Model and the theory of quantum chromodynamics.