Gauss Law and Electric Field of a Dipole

In summary, The electric field must be zero, no matter how the surface is drawn, as long as the surface encloses a total charge of zero. However, this does not mean that the field is zero at every point on the surface. Gauss' Law only helps in determining the electric field when there is some kind of symmetry involved, such as a flat sheet, a line, or a spherical shell of charge.
Dr_Pill
Hi,

I don't understand this:
You got a dipole, and a resulting electric field from it like this(hyperphysics):
dipo2.gif

As z approaches infinity, the field becomes zero.

But if you draw a gaussian surface round the charges, then the net enclosed charge is zero.So the electric field must be zero, no matter how I draw the surface.
So If i just draw a surface tiny enough to enclose both charges, my z is totally not going to infinity and the field is zero according to Gauss' LAw.

How is this compatible with each other?What is the pitfall in my thinking.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dr_Pill said:
So the electric field must be zero, no matter how I draw the surface.

No, the integral of the electric field over the entire surface (the flux of the electric field) must be zero.

On some parts of the surface, the field points outwards, which contributes a positive amount to the flux. On other parts of the surface, the field points inwards, which contributes a negative amount to the flux. The positive and negative contributions add up to zero over the entire surface.

Of course, you have to use the full electric field due to your dipole and an electric field is a vector. By construction any partial wave corresponds to a charge distribution with total net charge 0 except the monopole term.

The dipol field is given by the potential
[tex]\Phi(\vec{x})=\frac{\vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}}{4 \pi r^3} \quad \text{with} \quad r=|\vec{x}|.[/tex]
The field is thus given by
[tex]\vec{E}=-\vec{\nabla} \Phi=\frac{1}{4 \pi r^5} [3(\vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}) \vec{x}-r^2 \vec{p}].[/tex]
Here, the dipol sits at the origin of the coordinate system. The most simple surface to use is a sphere of radius [itex]a[/itex] around the origin. We use spherical coordinates with the polar axis in direction of the electric moment, [itex]\vec{p}[/itex]. Then we have
[tex]\mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F}=\mathrm{d} \vartheta \mathrm{d} \varphi a^2 \sin \vartheta \vec{e}_r[/tex]
and thus
[tex]\int_{K_a} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F} \cdot \vec{E}=\int_0^{\pi} \mathrm{d} \vartheta \int_0^{2 \pi} \mathrm{d} \varphi \; \frac{p \sin \vartheta \cos \vartheta}{2 \pi a} =0.[/tex]

Dr_Pill said:
Hi,

I don't understand this:
You got a dipole, and a resulting electric field from it like this(hyperphysics):
dipo2.gif

As z approaches infinity, the field becomes zero.

But if you draw a gaussian surface round the charges, then the net enclosed charge is zero.So the electric field must be zero, no matter how I draw the surface.
So If i just draw a surface tiny enough to enclose both charges, my z is totally not going to infinity and the field is zero according to Gauss' LAw.

How is this compatible with each other?What is the pitfall in my thinking.

Thanks in advance.

As others have pointed out, Gauss' Law tells us that if a surface encloses total charge 0, then the AVERAGE of the field over the surface is zero. That doesn't mean that it is zero at every point. In the case of a dipole, the part of surface nearest to the + charge will have a positive flux through it, and the part of the surface nearest to the - charge will have a negative flux through it.

Gauss' Law doesn't really help much in figuring out what the electric field is for a distribution of charges unless there is some kind of symmetry involved. So for instance, a flat uniform sheet of charge, a line of charge, a spherical shell of charge.

Hello,

Thank you for bringing up this question about Gauss Law and the electric field of a dipole. It is important to understand that Gauss Law is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of electric fields. In the case of a dipole, the electric field is indeed zero at infinity, as shown in the diagram you provided.

However, when we apply Gauss Law to this situation, we are considering a closed surface around the dipole. This surface can be any size, including a tiny surface that encloses both charges. In this case, the net enclosed charge is indeed zero, but this does not mean that the electric field is zero everywhere on the surface.

In fact, Gauss Law tells us that the electric field is still present on the surface, but it is balanced out by the opposite charges of the dipole. This is why the net enclosed charge is zero, but the electric field is not. This is not a pitfall in your thinking, but rather a fundamental principle of Gauss Law and the behavior of electric fields.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the relationship between Gauss Law and the electric field of a dipole. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. As scientists, it is important for us to continue questioning and seeking understanding in order to further our knowledge and discoveries. Thank you for your curiosity and interest in this topic.

1. What is Gauss Law and how is it related to the electric field of a dipole?

Gauss Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface. It is closely related to the electric field of a dipole because the electric field lines of a dipole can be visualized as a series of closed surfaces surrounding the dipole, allowing us to use Gauss Law to calculate the total electric field of the dipole.

2. How is the electric field of a dipole calculated using Gauss Law?

To calculate the electric field of a dipole using Gauss Law, we first choose a closed surface that encloses both the positive and negative charges of the dipole. Then, we calculate the flux of the electric field through this surface by multiplying the electric field strength by the area of the surface. Finally, we use Gauss Law to equate the flux to the charge enclosed within the surface, which allows us to solve for the electric field strength.

3. What is the difference between an electric dipole and a magnetic dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges that are separated by a small distance, while a magnetic dipole is a pair of north and south poles that are separated by a small distance. In terms of their fields, an electric dipole creates an electric field that decreases with distance, while a magnetic dipole creates a magnetic field that is constant with distance.

4. How do the electric field and potential of a dipole change as the distance from the dipole increases?

As the distance from the dipole increases, both the electric field and potential decrease. However, the electric field decreases more rapidly than the potential, resulting in a decrease in the overall strength of the electric field. This is because the field lines of a dipole spread out as the distance increases, resulting in a weaker field.

5. Can the electric field of a dipole ever be zero?

No, the electric field of a dipole can never be zero. This is because the electric field of a dipole is a vector sum of the individual fields created by the positive and negative charges, and these fields will always have a non-zero magnitude. However, at certain points in space, the electric field can cancel out to give a net field of zero, but this is only temporary and not a permanent state.