Gauss Law in a plane sheet, and thick sheet (Infinite)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Prannoy Mehta
Messages
94
Reaction score
2
We have learned the below formula for a plane sheet of charge with thickness.

E=σ/ϵ

and the one below for with no thickness (negligible)

E=σ/2ϵ

The problem, I am facing is digesting the derived equations. It is one thing for sure that these formulas must be right. But then the fact that E is proportional to the square of the distance between the test charge (Or any other charge, taken from columbs law.) is disobeyed by it (Atleast that's what I think.) I have seen alternate derivations with the same expression. Why is this not obeyed, or is it obeyed over here.

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The contribution from each individual charge does obey the inverse square law, but the geometry of the situation leads to the result.
This might help
http://mlg.eng.cam.ac.uk/mchutchon/chargedPlanes.pdf
Notice that the sin θ term increases with the distance from the plate and this counteracts the inverse square relationship.