1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gauss Law in a plane sheet, and thick sheet (Infinite)

1. Apr 3, 2015 #1
    We have learnt the below formula for a plane sheet of charge with thickness.

E=σ/ϵ

and the one below for with no thickness (negligible)

E=σ/2ϵ

The problem, I am facing is digesting the derived equations. It is one thing for sure that these formulas must be right. But then the fact that E is proportional to the square of the distance between the test charge (Or any other charge, taken from columbs law.) is disobeyed by it (Atleast that's what I think.) I have seen alternate derivations with the same expression. Why is this not obeyed, or is it obeyed over here.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2015 #2
    The contribution from each individual charge does obey the inverse square law, but the geometry of the situation leads to the result.
    This might help
    http://mlg.eng.cam.ac.uk/mchutchon/chargedPlanes.pdf
    Notice that the sin θ term increases with the distance from the plate and this counteracts the inverse square relationship.

4. Apr 4, 2015 #3
    Thanks a tonne :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook