Gaussian - Resuming a calculation

In summary, in order to resume a crashed calculation in Gaussian, you must have a checkpoint file (.chk) which can be created by specifying the '%Chk=' option in the command line. It is recommended to store the .gjf and .log files in the default Gaussian folder for optimal functionality.
CrimpJiggler
I heard that if Gaussian crashes, you can just resume the calculation by loading the incomplete log file. How do I do that, I tried opening the incomplete .log file with GaussView and Gaussian and neither work (get error messages). Do I need to create a checkpoint file or something? This time I did specify it to create a checkpoint file, can I use this .chk file to resume the incomplete job? I tried opening it in Gaussian and here's what happened:
0551ef8465ea7ef547ff26d30c030e74.png

I haven't figured out what the purpose of these checkpoint files are yet, I've been just opening my previous calculations .log files with GaussView and run additional calculations from there, am I doing something wrong there? Also I've been saving my .gjf and .log files in my own separate directory, do I need to store them in the default Gaussian folder in order for everything to work correctly?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, it is not possible to resume a crashed calculation using the log file alone. In order to be able to resume a calculation, you must have a checkpoint file (.chk). The checkpoint file contains information about the current state of the calculation, and the log file contains only the output of the calculation at the time it was stopped.In order to create a checkpoint file, you must specify it in the command line with the '%Chk=' option. If you have already specified this option, then when the job crashes, the checkpoint file should be created. You can then use this checkpoint file to restart the calculation.It is recommended that you store your .gjf and .log files in the default Gaussian folder in order for everything to work correctly. However, you can also store them in a different directory, as long as the path to the files is defined correctly in the command line.

Related to Gaussian - Resuming a calculation

What is Gaussian and how does it work?

Gaussian is a software package used for computational chemistry, specifically for calculating the properties and behavior of molecules. It uses quantum mechanics principles and mathematical algorithms to simulate the behavior of molecules, making it a valuable tool for researchers in the field.

What does it mean to resume a calculation in Gaussian?

Resuming a calculation in Gaussian means that you are restarting a previously interrupted calculation. This could be due to a power outage, computer crash, or other unforeseen circumstances. Resuming a calculation allows you to pick up where you left off and continue the simulation without starting from the beginning.

How do I resume a calculation in Gaussian?

To resume a calculation in Gaussian, you will need to have the original input file and the checkpoint file (.chk) from the previous calculation. You can then use the "Restart" keyword in the input file and specify the name of the checkpoint file to resume the calculation. You may also need to adjust any other parameters or settings depending on the reason for the interruption.

What are the benefits of resuming a calculation in Gaussian?

Resuming a calculation in Gaussian can save time and computational resources. Instead of starting the calculation from the beginning, resuming allows you to continue from where it was interrupted, potentially saving hours or even days of simulation time. It also helps to ensure that the results are consistent and accurate by avoiding potential errors from starting over.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to resuming a calculation in Gaussian?

One limitation of resuming a calculation in Gaussian is that it may not be possible if the interruption occurred at a critical point in the simulation. In this case, it may be necessary to start the calculation from the beginning. Additionally, resuming a calculation may not be feasible if the initial input file or checkpoint file is not available. It is also important to note that resuming a calculation does not guarantee the same results as the original calculation, as small differences in parameters or settings may still occur.