How Does Gear Interference Affect Gearbox Design and Longevity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a 2-stage gearbox for a school project with a 15:1 ratio and a requirement to transmit 20 hp for a 10-year minimum life. The speaker has come up with two gear combinations and has done calculations to ensure that the gears can handle the required power and are efficient in terms of weight and volume. However, they are having trouble understanding the concept of interference and its impact on gear selection. They mention using an equation to calculate the maximum number of teeth for a larger gear and have found that some combinations may experience interference and wear out eventually. The expert suggests using gear pairs with a minimum 16 tooth driver and a 16 * √15 tooth driven gear for a close
Simply Is
I'm designing a 2-stage gearbox for a project at school (15:1 ratio, must transmit 20 hp, for a full-time 10-year minimum life).

I've come up with 2 basic gear combos for my layout:

1. 16,80,24,72

2. 16,80,16,48

I've done all the calculations for each layout such as making sure that the required hp is transmittable through each gear (using that as a basis for selecting stock gear size and material) for infinite life, and looking at the weight balance / volume aspects for the most efficient design possible.

What I'm having trouble with is understanding the whole interference thing.

I see with 20 degrees you need to have a minimum of 16 teeth on the smallest gear and I'm okay grasping that.

But in looking at the maximum teeth for the larger gear, given a particular smaller gear teeth number, I'm having trouble understanding that.

I put an equation into excel to calculate it for me, and for 16 I come up with a max number of teeth for the larger gear to be 101, so I know I'm okay with the 16,80 combination. But for 24, I come up with a max number of teeth for the larger gear to be -39.

Does this mean that the 24/72 combination will experience interference, wearing out eventually?

Thank you for any replies.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Simply Is said:
Does this mean that the 24/72 combination will experience interference, wearing out eventually?
A 16 tooth stock gear should run without problems on a rack. The problem with a low tooth count gear is that the teeth must be undercut to avoid interference. Undercutting weakens the tooth and so restricts the maximum torque for that gear pair.

Your ratios of (80/16) * (48/16) = exactly 15; have common factors of 5:1 and 3:1 which may have wear and noise implications. It will not be a minimum mass solution.

A gear ratio of g, in n stages, is best done in steps of the n√g;
For a 15:1 ratio, in two stages; √15 = 3.873
A minimum 16 tooth driver implies a 16 * √15 = 61.97 tooth driven gear.
Using 16:61 and 16:63 avoids common factors, so it will have a “hunting tooth” advantage.
The gearbox ratio will be (61/16) * (63/16) = 15.012; which is close to the 15 you require.

The minimum number of teeth required can be reduced by offsetting the pitch circles of gear pairs. But that is not going to be possible using stock gears.

1. What is gear interference?

Gear interference refers to the phenomenon where two or more gears meshing together can cause unwanted noise, vibrations, and wear. It is a common issue in mechanical systems that use gears.

2. What causes gear interference?

Gear interference is typically caused by misalignment, improper gear tooth contact, or insufficient backlash between gears. It can also be caused by worn or damaged gear teeth, or inadequate lubrication.

3. How can gear interference be prevented?

To prevent gear interference, proper gear design and manufacturing techniques should be used. This includes ensuring proper gear tooth profile and spacing, maintaining adequate backlash, and using high-quality materials. Regular maintenance and lubrication can also help prevent gear interference.

4. What are the consequences of gear interference?

Gear interference can lead to increased noise and vibrations, decreased efficiency and power transmission, and premature wear and failure of gears. It can also cause damage to other components in the mechanical system.

5. How is gear interference diagnosed and resolved?

Gear interference can be diagnosed through visual inspection, measurement of gear tooth contact patterns, and monitoring of noise and vibrations. Once identified, it can be resolved by adjusting gear alignment, backlash, or lubrication, or by replacing worn or damaged gears.