General Acceleration/Tension Question

• Thread starter mohabitar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of tension being equal between two objects connected by a string if their accelerations are also equal. It is stated that this is true as long as the string and pulley are massless and frictionless. However, when one of the objects starts moving, the tension in the string will decrease. Despite this, the tension will still be the same throughout the string.
mohabitar
Ok so I made an observation while answering some homework questions, and I want to make sure its not just a coincidence.

If I have something like this:
kh5mz.png

Since their acceleration is equal in this case, will tension of the string always be equal? Say the table is lifted at a different angle, where the blocks start moving in the opposite direction of the first example, since their acceleration is equal again in this case, will tension be equal as well? Can we generalize that to all examples, where if two objects are held together by a string and their acceleration are the same, then the tension is also the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
mohabitar said:
Can we generalize that to all examples, where if two objects are held together by a string and their acceleration are the same, then the tension is also the same?
As long as the string is massless and the pulley is massless and frictionless, then the tension will be the same throughout the string.

The tension will be deferent depending if the bodies are accelerating or not.
For example, when the system is in equilibrium the tension is ( T=m2*g ).
If mass 2 starts moving down, the tension in the string will be ( T=m2*g-m2*a ) so less than when the system is in equilibrium.
And yes the tension will be the same throughout the string.
I hope that i didn't completely missed the point of the question :)

1. What is general acceleration?

General acceleration refers to the overall change in velocity of an object over a period of time. It can be caused by various factors such as gravity, force, and friction.

2. How is general acceleration different from specific acceleration?

General acceleration considers the overall change in velocity, while specific acceleration refers to the change in velocity in a specific direction. General acceleration is a vector quantity, while specific acceleration is a scalar quantity.

3. What is tension in relation to general acceleration?

Tension is a force that arises when an object is being pulled or stretched. In relation to general acceleration, tension can affect the acceleration of an object by either increasing or decreasing it, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force.

4. How is tension calculated in a general acceleration scenario?

Tension can be calculated by using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In a general acceleration scenario, tension can be calculated by considering all the forces acting on an object and using this formula.

5. How does general acceleration affect the motion of an object?

General acceleration can affect the motion of an object by causing it to speed up, slow down, or change direction. It also plays a crucial role in determining an object's velocity and position over time. Additionally, general acceleration can also cause an object to experience changes in its kinetic and potential energy.