General differential equation solution for Kepler Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding a solution to the Kepler problem using initial conditions such as masses, positions, and velocities. The Wikipedia solution is mentioned, but it is stated that it would be too long to be practical. It is suggested to calculate the relevant quantities step by step instead. The possibility of a general solution for n-bodies is also discussed, but it is stated that there is no such solution. The conversation ends with the reassurance that the individual knows more about physics than most high school students and the mention of numerical methods as a possible way to approximate a solution.
Steve Jones
To be honest, I don't know any physics. I am a high school student who has taken high school physics, but America's education system isn't known for teaching much more than Newton's laws. I have, however, taken Multivariable/Vector calculus, so I have a decent math background.

I was wondering is there is a specific form of the solution to the Kepler problem. The initial conditions would be the masses, positions, and velocities. I have found this link to the wikipedia solution, but I wonder if it is possible to have a solution that I can just plug the masses, velocities, and positions in and get an equation for the motion of both bodies.

Also, I wonder if that solution could be generalized to include however many bodies you want. The wikipedia article said it could not be solve in terms of first integrals, but I wonder if there is a general solution for n-bodies.

Please be nice to me :P I don't possesses a vast knowledge of physics (or any at all). I also don't know if this thread is in the right place either.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Steve Jones said:
I have found this link to the wikipedia solution, but I wonder if it is possible to have a solution that I can just plug the masses, velocities, and positions in and get an equation for the motion of both bodies.
It is possible to make that, but the formula would be too long to be practical. It is easier to calculate all the relevant quantities step by step, as shown in the article and books.
Steve Jones said:
Also, I wonder if that solution could be generalized to include however many bodies you want. The wikipedia article said it could not be solve in terms of first integrals, but I wonder if there is a general solution for n-bodies.
There is not.

Thank you for the response.

The problem is that from three bodies on, in general, the trajectories get very erratic. Minute differences between starting points make the difference between a stable situation and one where one of the bodies gets ejected from the system.

Steve Jones said:
To be honest, I don't know any physics. I am a high school student who has taken high school physics, but America's education system isn't known for teaching much more than Newton's laws. I have, however, taken Multivariable/Vector calculus, so I have a decent math background.
snipAlso, I wonder if that solution could be generalized to include however many bodies you want. The wikipedia article said it could not be solve in terms of first integrals, but I wonder if there is a general solution for n-bodies.

Please be nice to me :P I don't possesses a vast knowledge of physics (or any at all). I also don't know if this thread is in the right place either.

Hi Steve: You know a heck of a lot more than most high schoolers. Most of them wouldn't know a differential equation from differential fluid.
In classical mechanics courses following general college physics they discuss the "three-body problem". There is no general solution to 3 or more bodies. You can, however, use numerical methods to approximate a solution to whatever degree you want.
I disagree with your statement that you don't know any physics.

1. What is the Kepler problem?

The Kepler problem is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a planet or other object around a central body under the influence of gravity. It is named after the German astronomer Johannes Kepler, who first described the laws of planetary motion in the 17th century.

2. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. In the context of the Kepler problem, it is used to model the motion of the planet or object as it changes over time.

3. How can the general solution for the Kepler problem be determined?

The general solution for the Kepler problem can be determined by solving the differential equation that describes the motion of the planet or object. This involves using mathematical techniques such as integration and substitution to find the equation of motion.

4. What factors affect the general solution for the Kepler problem?

The general solution for the Kepler problem is affected by several factors, including the mass and distance of the central body, the initial position and velocity of the planet or object, and the strength of the gravitational force between them.

5. What are some applications of the general solution for the Kepler problem?

The general solution for the Kepler problem has many applications in astronomy and space science, such as predicting the motion of planets and satellites, calculating orbits for spacecraft, and studying the behavior of celestial bodies in our solar system and beyond.