Number of General Electives in Physics Degree - Bachelor's Level

In summary, the number of general electives required for a bachelor's degree in Physics varies based on the number of credits accepted for transfer from an associate's degree program and the specific requirements of the college. It is recommended to consult with an adviser at the new college to determine the number of general elective credits that will be accepted.
ljfe
How many general electives are typical for a bachelors degree in Physics?

They are accepting 18 of my art credits for the Physics Transfer program at the associates level. I would like to know how many credits will count towards a bachelors. I am guessing 9 credits...I am trying to get an appointment with an adviser at a local state college.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of those credits might be accepted towards the general education requirements at the "new" college. (Some schools have a "fine arts" requirement.) As for general elective credit, it probably depends on (a) how many hours they require in total for a bachelor's degree, minus (b) how many hours they require for general education requirements, minus (c) how many hours are required for the physics major.

1. How many general electives are required for a Bachelor's degree in Physics?

The number of general electives required for a Bachelor's degree in Physics varies depending on the university or college. However, on average, most programs require students to complete around 2-3 general electives.

2. Can I choose any electives or are there specific ones for a Physics degree?

Typically, there are specific electives that are recommended or required for a Physics degree. These may include courses in mathematics, computer science, or other science disciplines. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to ensure you are selecting appropriate electives for your degree.

3. How do general electives benefit a Physics degree?

General electives provide students with the opportunity to explore other areas of interest outside of their major. These courses can help students develop critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving skills, which are transferable to a career in Physics.

4. Can I use general electives to fulfill prerequisites for graduate school?

In most cases, general electives can be used to fulfill prerequisites for graduate school, especially if the courses are related to your intended field of study. However, it is important to check with the specific graduate program you are interested in to ensure the electives will be accepted.

5. Are there restrictions on which electives I can choose for a Physics degree?

Some universities or colleges may have restrictions on which electives can be used towards a Physics degree. These restrictions may be based on specific courses or disciplines, so it is important to check with your academic advisor to ensure you are selecting appropriate electives for your degree.