General Electric Field Question

In summary, the point where the electric field is zero is when the two charges are exactly in the middle, with the stronger charge pushing the weaker charge.
uday28fb
I'm seeing a lot of problems in my textbook where it asks you to find the point near two charges where the total electric field is zero. Whats the logic behind figuring out if the point will be on the left side, the right side, or between the two charges?

For example, one problem says there are two charges -7uc and 28uc separated by 2 m. It asks you to find the point where the electric field is zero. How do you tell if the point will be on the left side of the -7uc, the right side of the 28uc, or in between?

I have no problem solving these problems once I know where the point is going to be, but that's the major hurdle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let d=distance separated between the two charges.
Let E=electric field
By Coulomb's Law, [tex]E=\frac{kQ}{r^2}[/tex], where r is the distance

Let [tex]r_{1}[/tex] be the distance from one charge to the zero field, then
[tex]r_{2}=d-r_{1}[/tex] be the distance from the other charge to the zero field.

So, for two charges, the distance where the electric field = 0 is when
[tex]E=\frac{kq_{1}}{r_{1}^2}=\frac{kq_{2}}{r_{2}^2}[/tex]. Since you are given d, you can solve for [tex]r_{2}[/tex]

But if the point is not in between the two charges, then wouldn't the distance be 2 m from one charge, and 2+x from the other charge? See I just want to know how you decide if the point is in between the two charges, or if it is outside the two charges. After that I can solve the problem.

Ah, good question. You are give that one of the charge is negative, which is the opposite sign of the second charge. Hence, it must be in between so that the electric field is zero.

uday28fb said:
Whats the logic behind figuring out if the point will be on the left side, the right side, or between the two charges?

Hi uday28fb! :smile:

Same charges … between.

Opposite charges … outside, on the side of the weaker charge. :smile:

uday28fb said:
I'm seeing a lot of problems in my textbook where it asks you to find the point near two charges where the total electric field is zero. Whats the logic behind figuring out if the point will be on the left side, the right side, or between the two charges?
I have no problem solving these problems once I know where the point is going to be, but that's the major hurdle.

These are just equilibrium problems. For equi we just require that the forces on the Q of interest are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. You can check each region to see if this condition can be met - you don't need to do any calculations for this, just think about the net force on the Q of interest. The post above gives the rule of thumb.

Conceptually--

(a) charges have same sign-- your test charge will be inbetween them, else it will not be.
(b) your test charge must be closer to the weaker charge so that the 1/r^2 can make up for the charge being less (so that the forces are still equal in magnitude).

That's it, just those two rules will give you any case.

Thanks guys, I'll rep you guys. Is the logic the same for electrical potential?

edit: how do you rep people?

Last edited:
uday28fb said:
Thanks guys, I'll rep you guys. Is the logic the same for electrical potential?
It's even easier for electric potential (V). Because V is a scaler quantity, the net V, at a point, due to a group of point charges is just the *algebraic* sum of individuas potentials. All you have to worry about are the signs. Relative to a zero V at infinity, V due to a negative point Q is negative, and vice-versa for positive Q.

Hi uday28fb! :smile:
uday28fb said:
Hey man, thanks for the rule of thumb.

My problem is that in the solution for the problem I was solving, it has the point where E=0 in between the -7 and 28 uc charge. But I thought if they are oppsoite charges then it goes on the side of teh -7 charge, according the rule you posted. Am I missing something?

Your book is wrong.

One charge is pulling and the other is pushing.

E = 0 can't possibly be in between. :smile:

What is General Electric Field?

General Electric Field, also known as GE Field, is a multi-purpose outdoor stadium located in Schenectady, New York. It is primarily used for high school and college sports events, as well as community events and concerts. It is owned and operated by General Electric, a multinational conglomerate corporation.

How many people does General Electric Field hold?

The official seating capacity of General Electric Field is 2,500 people. However, for larger events, the capacity can be expanded to accommodate up to 5,000 people.

When was General Electric Field built?

General Electric Field was built in 1953, making it over 65 years old. It has undergone several renovations and upgrades since then to maintain its modern facilities.

What types of events are held at General Electric Field?

In addition to sports events and concerts, General Electric Field also hosts community events such as fairs, festivals, and charity events. It is also available for rent for private events and functions.

Is General Electric Field accessible for people with disabilities?

Yes, General Electric Field is equipped with accessible seating, restrooms, and parking for people with disabilities. The stadium also has elevators and ramps for easy access to different levels. Additionally, trained staff members are available to assist with any special accommodations needed.