General equation for the speed of sound?

In summary, the speed of sound can be calculated using the general equation v = √(γRT), where v is the speed of sound, γ is the adiabatic index, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin. This equation is derived from the fundamental principles of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics and is applicable to any medium, including air and other gases. The speed of sound varies depending on the properties of the medium, such as temperature and composition, and is an important factor in various fields, including acoustics, aviation, and seismology.
fhqwgads2005
I've seen stated in many a physics book that the general case for the speed of sound (for general equations of state p(ρ) ) is given by

[tex] c^2 = \frac{\partial p}{\partial \rho} [/tex]

where p is pressure and ρ is density.

but I can't for the life of me figure out how on Earth to derive that. I've seen tons of derivations for specific cases--gasses, solids, but not for the general case. According to wikipedia, it can be derived using classical mechanics. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
c = [itex]\sqrt{P/\rho}[/itex]

Where P = coefficient of "stiffness"
and [itex]\rho[/itex] = density

oops sorry. Didn't understand your initial question. I just jumped to conclusions.

the equation of state is p=p(ρ,s) thus

dp = ([itex]\frac{∂p}{∂\rho}[/itex][itex])_{s}[/itex]d[itex]\rho[/itex] + ([itex]\frac{∂p}{∂s}[/itex])[itex]_{\rho}[/itex] ds

I am guessing that because ([itex]\frac{∂p}{∂\rho}[/itex][itex])_{s}[/itex] has units of "velocity squared", it is looked upon as such;
But why this velocity is the sonic one - beats me...

Anyone?

1. What is the general equation for the speed of sound?

The general equation for the speed of sound is v = √(γRT), where v is the speed of sound, γ is the adiabatic index, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. How is the speed of sound affected by temperature?

The speed of sound is directly proportional to the square root of temperature. This means that as temperature increases, so does the speed of sound.

3. What is the adiabatic index and how does it affect the speed of sound?

The adiabatic index, also known as the ratio of specific heats, is a measure of how much a gas can be compressed without losing energy. It affects the speed of sound because it is a factor in the general equation for the speed of sound. Different gases have different adiabatic indices, which can result in varying speeds of sound.

4. Does the medium through which sound travels affect the speed of sound?

Yes, the medium through which sound travels can affect the speed of sound. In general, sound travels faster in denser mediums, such as solids, compared to less dense mediums, such as gases. The elasticity and temperature of the medium also play a role in the speed of sound.

5. Is the general equation for the speed of sound applicable to all types of waves?

No, the general equation for the speed of sound is specifically for longitudinal waves, which are waves that travel through a medium by causing the particles of the medium to vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave. It does not apply to transverse waves, which vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave.