Derivation of the speed of sound waves equation

In summary, the conversation focused on the derivation of the Newton's formula for speed of sound in a medium. The process begins with the equation Impulse=change in linear momentum (I=Δp), and then progresses to I=ΣFΔt=(Area×Δpressure×Δt) in the x direction. The discussion then moves on to replacing the Δpressure with another equation, ΔP=-B(ΔV/Vi), where B is the bulk modulus and Vi is the initial volume. The question arises about the cancellation of Δt in the final equation, leading to a confusion about the relationship between the time taken for gas particles to move through the container and the time taken for sound to travel
FerPhys
I'm learning about the speed of sound waves through a medium. The derivation is initiated through Impulse=change in linear momentum (I=Δp), then I=ΣFΔt=(Area×Δpressure×Δt) in the x direction
The derivation proceeds by replacing the Δpressure with another equation we had derived earlier
ΔP=-B(ΔV/Vi) where B is the bulk modulus. The initial volume (Vi) is vAΔt where v is the velocity of sound multiplied by the time it takes to reach the end of the container (gives you a length which you can multiply to get Area to get the volume of the gas without anything force acting on it).
This is where I get a bit confused. My textbook says ΔV= (-vxAΔt) where vx = the speed of the elements in the medium or in this case a gas. When you plug everything back in into -B(ΔV/Vi) you get ΔP=B(vx / v) . My question now is, why did the Δt cancel out? Wouldn't that be like saying that the time it took for those gas particles to move through the entire container was the same as the time it took for sound to move through the entire container? Also, if that were the case wouldn't they be going at the same speed and therefore the vx/v should also cancel?

This my first post on this website so if I can do anything to make my posts more clear please let me know!
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you deriving the Newton's formula for speed of sound in say air/gas?

Can you show an image of the page where they do this?

This may come off as completely rude but I understand the derivation now.. sorry :(
yes its for Newtons formula for speed in sound..

1. What is the equation for the speed of sound waves?

The equation for the speed of sound waves is v = √(E/ρ), where v is the speed of sound, E is the elastic modulus of the medium, and ρ is the density of the medium.

2. How is this equation derived?

This equation is derived using the basic principles of physics and acoustics, specifically the relationship between density, pressure, and speed of sound in a medium.

3. What are the units of measurement for the variables in this equation?

The speed of sound is typically measured in meters per second (m/s), the elastic modulus is measured in pascals (Pa), and the density is measured in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

4. Does this equation apply to all types of sound waves?

Yes, this equation applies to all types of sound waves, as long as they are traveling through a medium with a known density and elastic modulus.

5. How accurate is this equation in determining the speed of sound waves?

This equation is accurate in determining the speed of sound waves in a given medium, as long as the density and elastic modulus values used are accurate and the sound waves are traveling in ideal conditions.