1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Forces on Slope Problem

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    a) Find a general expression for mass m2 so that m1 will move at a constant speed up the ramp. Your answer will be based on (mu) and (theta).
    b) Give a numerical value for (mu) and (theta) so that m2/m1 > 1
    c) Give a numerical value for (mu) and (theta) so that m2/m1 < 1

Fg2 = m2g
    Fg1x = m1gsin(theta)
    Ff = (mu)Fn
    Fn = Fg2y
    a = 0m/s2
    Fnet = ma
    g = 9.8 m/s2

Fnet = Fg2 - Fg1x - Ff
    0 = m2g - m1gsin(theta) - (mu)cos(theta)
    m2g = m1gsin(theta) + (mu)cos(theta)
    m2 = [m1gsin(theta) + (mu)cos(theta)] / g

My problem is that I don't understand how to give a numerical value for (mu) and (theta) so that m2/m1 > or < 1 without also determining the mass of either m1 or m2 since they are both a part of the general equation. Is it even possible without also giving a numerical value to one of the masses?? Any clarification is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That last term--the friction force--is missing a few factors. Redo it and the solution may be clearer.

4. Mar 23, 2008 #3
    0 = m2g - m1gsin(theta) - (mu)m1gcos(theta)
    m2g = m1gsin(theta) + (mu)m1gcos(theta)
    m2 = [m1gsin(theta) + (mu)m1gcos(theta)] / g

Although the equation makes a bit more sense, I'm still confused about how to give a numerical value for (mu) and (theta) so that m2/m1 > or < 1 without also determining the mass of either m1 or m2 since they are both a part of the equation.

5. Mar 23, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Good. Now further simplify that last expression: Start by factoring out the m1 and the g.

6. Mar 24, 2008 #5
    m2 = [m1gsin(theta) + (mu)m1gcos(theta)] / g
    m2 = [m1g[sin(theta) + (mu)cos(theta)]]/g
    m2 = m1[sin(theta) + (mu)cos(theta)]

So factoring has eliminated g but m1 and m2 are sill part of the equation, leaving me just as confused as before.

7. Mar 24, 2008 #6

Doc Al

You're almost there. Write it as m2/m1 = ?

Now you get to play around with theta and mu. Hint: Compare a small angle (~ 5 degrees) with a bigger angle (~ 85 degrees).

Remember: All you need to do is make up a few values that satisfy the requirements.

8. Mar 24, 2008 #7
    Thank you for your help Doc Al. It all makes sense now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?