1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General formula of sequences

1. Sep 2, 2012 #1
    Hi guys, I'm doing some exercises in which given a recursive sequence and its first term, I have to find the general formula/term. I am stuck in two and I would like some help. Thanks in advance. Now, the sequences:

1) a1=1, an+1= an + ((-1)^(n+1))n^2

So, the first terms are: a2=2, a3=-2, a4=7, a5=-9, a6=16

Maybe you find it easy, I've been trying really hard to come up with the formula but I haven't got a clue.

2) a1=1, an+1= an + n^3

So, the first ones are: a2=2, a3=10, a4=37, a5=101

And again, no idea.

I suck at this, sorry to bother you but I would really appreciate your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use brackets. What you *wrote* says [itex]a_n + 1 = a_n + (-1)^{n+1} n^2,[/itex] but I am guessing meant [itex] a_{n+1} = a_n + (-1)^{n+1} n^2.[/itex] To do this in plain text, just say a_{n+1} or a_(n+1) instead of an+1, etc. Alternatively, you can use the "X2" button on the menu bar above the input panel; that would give an+1.

Hint for 1): look at d_n = a_{n+1} - a_n = (-1)^(n+1) n^2 and note that
    a_n - a_1 = d_{n-1} + d_{n-2} + ... + d_1.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook