General inverses of trigonometry function

In summary, the statement from Wikipedia regarding sin(y)=x\Leftrightarrow y=arcsin(x)+2k\pi\ \forall\ k\in\mathbb Z is missing some solutions, while the statement from the textbook is more complete as it includes all possible solutions. However, there may be a difference in notation as some textbooks use "Arcsin(x)" to represent the principal value of arcsin(x) while others use "arcsin(x)".
kntsy
I find this statement confusing from Wikipedia:

[tex]sin(y)=x\Leftrightarrow y=arcsin(x)+2k\pi\ \forall\ k\in\mathbb Z[/tex]

Is this statement false? "arcsin(x)" gives the principal value:[[itex]\frac{-\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]]. Therefore,specifically, "arcsin(x)" gives [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}\text{ but not}\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex].

My textbook:

[tex]sin(y)=x\Leftrightarrow y=(-1)^{k}arcsin(x)+k\pi\ \forall\ k\in\mathbb Z[/tex]

I think my textbook's statement is more "complete".Or are the 2 statements both true?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes your textbook is giving all the solutions, while wikipedia is missing about half of the possible solutions. Take [tex]y=2\pi/3[/tex] for example, wikipedia won't return that solution with its formula while the other will.

kntsy said:
I find this statement confusing from Wikipedia:

[tex]sin(y)=x\Leftrightarrow y=arcsin(x)+2k\pi\ \forall\ k\in\mathbb Z[/tex]

Is this statement false? "arcsin(x)" gives the principal value:[[itex]\frac{-\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]]. Therefore,specifically, "arcsin(x)" gives [itex]\frac{\pi}{3}\text{ but not}\frac{2\pi}{3}[/itex].

My textbook:

[tex]sin(y)=x\Leftrightarrow y=(-1)^{k}arcsin(x)+k\pi\ \forall\ k\in\mathbb Z[/tex]

I think my textbook's statement is more "complete".Or are the 2 statements both true?
Look more closely at your textbook. Most texts use "Arcsin(x)" to mean the "principal value" of arcsin(x)- the value y such that sin(y)= x for [itex]0\le y< \pi[/itex].

Notice the difference? The CAPITALIZED A means the principal value, the small a arcsine, the more general value.

Regarding capilatization conventions, Berkey/Blanchard: Calculus, 3rd ed. 1992, write, "Be careful to note that Tan-1 x means the inverse of the function y = Tan x , not (tan x)-1." Where Tan is the "restricted tangent function" with domain (-pi/2, pi/2) and range (-infinity, infinity). "The alternatives y = Arc tan x and y = arctan x are also frequently used to represent y = Tan-1 x." Even so, they call Tan-1, the "inverse tangent function", and Sin-1 the "inverse sine function" (for -1 <or= x <or= 1 and -pi/2 <or=y <or= pi/2, the inverse sine function is defined by y = Sin-1 x iff x = sin y). So for them, at least, it seems that arc- and Arc are interchangeable.

Last edited:

Both statements are true, but they are expressing different concepts. The first statement is stating that for any value of x, there are multiple possible values of y that satisfy the equation sin(y)=x. The principal value of arcsin(x) is just one of those possible values. The value of k determines which specific value of y is being referred to.

The second statement is expressing a more general concept, where the value of y can be any multiple of pi added to the principal value of arcsin(x). This allows for all possible solutions to the equation sin(y)=x to be included.

So, in summary, both statements are true and they are just expressing different aspects of the general inverse of the trigonometric function.

1. What are general inverses of trigonometry functions?

General inverses of trigonometry functions refer to the inverse functions of the six basic trigonometric functions: sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant. These inverse functions allow us to solve for the angle measure given the value of the trigonometric function.

2. How are general inverses of trigonometry functions represented?

General inverses of trigonometry functions are typically represented using the notation of "arc" or "inverse" followed by the abbreviation of the corresponding trigonometric function. For example, the inverse of sine is represented as arcsin or sin-1, and the inverse of tangent is represented as arctan or tan-1.

3. What is the domain and range of general inverses of trigonometry functions?

The domain of general inverses of trigonometry functions is restricted to a specific interval depending on the trigonometric function. For example, the domain of arcsin and arccos is [-1, 1], while the domain of arctan is (-∞, ∞). The range of general inverses of trigonometry functions is typically the same as the domain of the corresponding trigonometric function.

4. How are general inverses of trigonometry functions used in real-life applications?

General inverses of trigonometry functions are used in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and physics to solve problems involving angles and sides of triangles. They are also used in navigation systems, astronomy, and other scientific calculations.

5. What are some common identities involving general inverses of trigonometry functions?

Some common identities involving general inverses of trigonometry functions include:

• arcsin(sin(x)) = x, for x∈[-π/2, π/2]
  • arccos(cos(x)) = x, for x∈[0, π]
  • arctan(tan(x)) = x, for x∈(-π/2, π/2)
  • arcsin(cos(x)) = π/2 - x, for x∈[0, π]
  • arccos(sin(x)) = π/2 - x, for x∈[-π/2, 0]

These identities show the relationship between a trigonometric function and its inverse function, and they can be useful in simplifying expressions and solving equations involving trigonometric functions.