How to Evaluate Line, Surface, and Volume Integrals with Vector Functions

• Thread starter shermaine80
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the procedures for evaluating line, surface, and volume integrals of vector A are complex and may require the use of parametric equations and cross products. The fundamental vector product and vector differential of surface area can be used for surface integrals, while the dot product is used for line integrals. However, the specific procedure depends on the given parameters and orientation of the surface or path.
shermaine80
May i know the general procedures for evaluating the following line,surface and volume for the following:

(1) triple integrate vector A.dV
(2) Double integrate vector A.n.dS
(3) integrate vector A.dr

:bugeye:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Whole books are written on this!

Also, I don't know what you mean by "A.dV" dV is a scalar quantity, not a vector so you cannot take the dot product of a vector, A, with it.

If you are given a surface, S, you can always write it in terms of parametric equations, in terms of two parameters, say u and v: x(u,v), y(u,v), z(u,v). You can then write it as a vector equation in an obvious way: [itex]\vec{r}(u,v)= x(u,v)\vec{i}+ y(u,v)\vec{j}+ z(u,v)\vec{k}[/itex]. The "fundamental vector product" is the cross product of the two partial derivatives: [itex]\vec{r}_u\times\vec{r}_v[/itex] and the "vector differential of surface area" is [itex]\vec{r}_u\times\vec{r}_v dudv[/itex]. Of course, that points in opposite directions depending on the order of multiplication: that's because you need to determine an orientation of the surface.

For a path, which depends on one parameter, say t, [itex]\vec{r}= x(t)\vec{i}+ y(t)\vec{j}+ z(t)\vec{k}[/itex], we have [itex]d\vec{r}= x'\vec{i}dx+ y'\vec{j}dy+ z'\vec{k}dz[/itex]. A.dr is the dot product of A with that.

1. What are general procedures?

General procedures refer to a set of standardized steps or actions that are followed in order to achieve a specific goal or outcome. They are often used in scientific experiments and research studies to ensure consistency and accuracy in the process.

2. Why is it important to have general procedures?

General procedures are important because they help to ensure that experiments or studies are conducted in a systematic and reproducible manner. This allows for accurate results and conclusions to be drawn, and also allows other researchers to replicate the study and verify the findings.

3. How are general procedures developed?

General procedures are typically developed through careful planning and consideration of the specific goals and objectives of the experiment or study. They may also be based on established protocols or methods that have been proven to be effective in similar studies.

4. Can general procedures be modified or adapted?

Yes, general procedures can be modified or adapted to suit the specific needs of a particular experiment or study. However, any changes should be carefully considered and documented in order to maintain consistency and ensure the validity of the results.

5. Are there any risks associated with following general procedures?

Generally, following general procedures in a scientific experiment or study is a safe and reliable method. However, there may be potential risks involved depending on the nature of the experiment or study, and researchers should always take appropriate precautions and follow safety protocols to minimize any potential risks.