1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General procedures

1. Nov 18, 2008 #1
    May i know the general procedures for evaluating the following line,surface and volume for the following:

(1) triple integrate vector A.dV
    (2) Double integrate vector A.n.dS
    (3) integrate vector A.dr

:bugeye:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Whole books are written on this!

Also, I don't know what you mean by "A.dV" dV is a scalar quantity, not a vector so you cannot take the dot product of a vector, A, with it.

If you are given a surface, S, you can always write it in terms of parametric equations, in terms of two parameters, say u and v: x(u,v), y(u,v), z(u,v). You can then write it as a vector equation in an obvious way: [itex]\vec{r}(u,v)= x(u,v)\vec{i}+ y(u,v)\vec{j}+ z(u,v)\vec{k}[/itex]. The "fundamental vector product" is the cross product of the two partial derivatives: [itex]\vec{r}_u\times\vec{r}_v[/itex] and the "vector differential of surface area" is [itex]\vec{r}_u\times\vec{r}_v dudv[/itex]. Of course, that points in opposite directions depending on the order of multiplication: that's because you need to determine an orientation of the surface.

For a path, which depends on one parameter, say t, [itex]\vec{r}= x(t)\vec{i}+ y(t)\vec{j}+ z(t)\vec{k}[/itex], we have [itex]d\vec{r}= x'\vec{i}dx+ y'\vec{j}dy+ z'\vec{k}dz[/itex]. A.dr is the dot product of A with that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?