General Question about Solving Torque

In summary, the individual is struggling to remember how to solve a design problem involving torque and force on screws in a 3D plane. They know that the summation of torques is 0, but are unsure of how to apply this concept in a 3D drawing. They also have a picture attached and have been discussing how to find the force on each screw based on the known torques.
shawn87411
This isn't a specific problem, I just can't remember how to solve problems like these.

I attached a brief picture.

The dots on the top are screws that hold the box in place. There's torques on both the shafts in the clockwise direction (shaft coming out towards you is 30 and the one going horizontal is 20) and I know the distance between the screws. Theres only vertical forces on the screws. I just can't remember how to go about solving it - I know I do the summation of torques is 0 but I forgot how it works in a 3D plane.

I'm guessing you do the sum of the torques in the direction of one of the torques is 0 and then do the same for the other direction which gives 2 equilibrium equations. I'm missing where the other 2 come from?

Attachments

• shaft.JPG
    shaft.JPG
    3.9 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shawn87411 said:
This isn't a specific problem, I just can't remember how to solve problems like these.

I attached a brief picture.

The dots on the top are screws that hold the box in place. There's torques on both the shafts in the clockwise direction (shaft coming out towards you is 30 and the one going horizontal is 20) and I know the distance between the screws. Theres only vertical forces on the screws. I just can't remember how to go about solving it - I know I do the summation of torques is 0 but I forgot how it works in a 3D plane.

I'm guessing you do the sum of the torques in the direction of one of the torques is 0 and then do the same for the other direction which gives 2 equilibrium equations. I'm missing where the other 2 come from?

[tex] \vec{\tau} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} [/tex]

The magnitude is [tex] \tau = r F \sin \phi [/tex]. Draw a section of the box let's say in the xy plane. (I take z to be the axis coming out at you). Then only two of the screws will exert a torque along z (because the other are aligned with the z axis).

Then you have a two dimensional drawing. You can figure out the distance r from the axis of rotation to each screw and you can figure out the angle phi with a simple right angle triangle.

nrqed said:
[tex] \vec{\tau} = \vec{r} \times \vec{F} [/tex]

The magnitude is [tex] \tau = r F \sin \phi [/tex]. Draw a section of the box let's say in the xy plane. (I take z to be the axis coming out at you). Then only two of the screws will exert a torque along z (because the other are aligned with the z axis).

Then you have a two dimensional drawing. You can figure out the distance r from the axis of rotation to each screw and you can figure out the angle phi with a simple right angle triangle.

Well the forces aren't known, this is a general design problem. All that is given is the torques on the shafts and I need to find the torques on the screw. Also the screws are on the edge of the box for each one with the length of the box being 300mm and the width 450mm so those are considered the distances apart for each screw. So if you look at the XY plane here you'd have a 30 N-m torque in the clockwise direction so are you saying only 2 of the screws feel that torque? If that's true shouldn't the torques be equal on the two screws that feel it since they are equidistant from the torque

shawn87411 said:
Well the forces aren't known, this is a general design problem. All that is given is the torques on the shafts and I need to find the torques on the screw. Also the screws are on the edge of the box for each one with the length of the box being 300mm and the width 450mm so those are considered the distances apart for each screw. So if you look at the XY plane here you'd have a 30 N-m torque in the clockwise direction so are you saying only 2 of the screws feel that torque? If that's true shouldn't the torques be equal on the two screws that feel it since they are equidistant from the torque

I am not sure what you mean by "equidistant from the torque". What matters is the distance from the axis of rotation.

The screws won't apply the same force because one screw is applying a torque clockwise and the other screw is applying a torque counterclockwise . So the one applying a torque counterclockwise has to cancel the torque of the other screw plus the external torque

nrqed said:
I am not sure what you mean by "equidistant from the torque". What matters is the distance from the axis of rotation.

The screws won't apply the same force because one screw is applying a torque clockwise and the other screw is applying a torque counterclockwise . So the one applying a torque counterclockwise has to cancel the torque of the other screw plus the external torque

Sorry I attached a more specific picture. Distance between D and B is 300mm and the distance between A and C is 450mm. If you draw something in just the XY plane you have something like the second picture attached, correct (the 20 is into the page)? I don't see how you can find the force on the screw if you don't know the torsion on each individual screw? Obviously the sum of them equates to the 30 and 20 in the respective directions

Attachments

• shaft2.JPG
    shaft2.JPG
    5.4 KB · Views: 419
  • shaft3.JPG
    shaft3.JPG
    3.1 KB · Views: 424
There are no torques on the screws themselves, just up or down vertical forces. They don't sum to 20 or 30. Look at each applied torque separately, and solve for the screw reactions using statics. One applied torque will create vertical positive or negative forces in the outer screws, the other, similarly, on the other 2 screws.

PhanthomJay said:
There are no torques on the screws themselves, just up or down vertical forces. They don't sum to 20 or 30. Look at each applied torque separately, and solve for the screw reactions using statics. One applied torque will create vertical positive or negative forces in the outer screws, the other, similarly, on the other 2 screws.

Ahhh I see so the screws only have the force up but because the distance the torque is equated for. Now is it correct that the screws A and C won't compensate for the 30 N-m torque and the screws B and D don't compensate for the 20 N-m torque because of their locations?

shawn87411 said:
Ahhh I see so the screws only have the force up but because the distance the torque is equated for. Now is it correct that the screws A and C won't compensate for the 30 N-m torque and the screws B and D don't compensate for the 20 N-m torque because of their locations?
Yes, that is correct. But don't forget that not all the screws have a force 'up'. Some will have a force 'down'.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is a product of the force applied to the object and the distance from the axis of rotation.

How do you calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied to the object and the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

What is the unit of torque?

Torque is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft). Both units represent the amount of force applied to an object at a certain distance from the axis of rotation.

How does torque affect rotational motion?

Torque is responsible for causing an object to rotate around an axis. The higher the torque applied, the faster the object will rotate. Additionally, the direction of torque determines the direction of rotation.

What factors affect torque?

The two main factors that affect torque are the amount of force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation. Other factors that may impact torque include the shape and weight distribution of the object, as well as any external forces acting on the object.