1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Question About Trig Substitutions (integration)

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1
    So I am trying to get a section ahead in my calsulus text and I am at Trig substitutions.

It says, "To start we will be concerned with integrals that contain expressions of the form [tex]\sqrt {a^2-x^2}[/tex] where a is positive and real...etc"

The idea is to eliminate the radical. For the above example they start by saying "we can make the substitution [tex]x=a\sin\theta[/tex] " ...and then they give

absolutely no justification for using [tex]a\sin\theta[/tex]. To me that is like saying "well instead of building that house out of wood, let's use cheese instead."

Now this is what I have reasoned out. Would someone please let me know if I am on the right track:

Since it is the sqrt function, then the term x^2 must be less than or equal to a^2 in order to have a real solution. Since a is a positive real number, than the product a*sin(theta) must equal x for some angle theta.

Thanks,
    Casey

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If |x|<=|a| then x can be written as a*sin(theta) for some angle theta. I don't see what is bugging you.

4. Oct 29, 2007 #3
    Well, for starters, ^^^that's exactly what I wrote, isn't it:rolleyes: so that is what's bugging me right now.

Casey

p.s. I don't like texts who just say "this is the way it is and that's that."

5. Oct 29, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want to know why, then sin(theta) assumes all values between -1 and 1. So if |x|<=|a|, you can find a value of theta. It's just a change of variables.

6. Oct 29, 2007 #5
    So I had it when I said:

I assume this same concept will apply to the other trig subs as well.

Thanks,
    Casey

7. Oct 29, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I guess I wasn't quite sure what the question was.

8. Oct 29, 2007 #7
    There isn't one.

Casey

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?