Generalized Eigenvectors?

In summary, the eigenvalue with the smallest modulus is found by solving the characteristic equation for the matrix A-\lambda I.
Fusilli_Jerry89
I see that a generalized eigenvector can be represented as such:

(A - λI)xk+1 = xk, where A is a square matrix, x is an eigenvector, λ is the eigenvalue I is the identity matrix.

This might be used, for example, if we have duplicate eigenvalues, and can only derive one eigenvector from the characteristic equation, then we can use this eigenvector to find other eigenvectors.

Can someone explain this formula? I don't really get it. My textbook has a similar formula:

xk+1 = Axk

which I understand perfectly. But how does the former formula make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about an iterative method to find the eigenvalues and vectors? This looks like the inverse power method.

The eigenvectors of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex](A - \lambda I)[/itex] are identical, but the eigenvalues differ by [itex]\lambda[/itex].

The inverse power method converges to the eigenvalue with the smallest modulus.

If [itex]\lambda[/itex] is close to an eigenvalue of [itex]A[/itex], the corresponding eigenvalue of [itex](A - \lambda I)[/itex] will be close to 0 and the iteration will converge rapidly to that eigenpair.

Last edited:
Suppose the characteristic equation for a matrix A is [itex](x- \lambda)^2= 0[/itex].

Then [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue having "algebraic multiplicity" 2. Now the "geometric multiplicity" of A, the number of independent eigenvectors corresponding to that eigenvalue, is either 1 or 2.

The crucial point is that every matrix satisfies its own characteristic equation. That is, [itex](A- \lambda I)^2= 0[/itex] so that [itex](A- \lambda I)^2v= 0[/itex] for every vector v. Now, it might happen that [itex](A- \lambda I)v= 0[/itex] for every vector, from which [itex](A- \lambda I)v= (A-\lambda I)((A- \lambda I)v)= (A- \lambda I)0= 0[/itex] follows immediately. That would be the case if there are two independent eigenvectors- if the geometric multiplicity were 0.

If not, if A has only one eigenvector, it must still be true that [itex](A- \lambda I)^2v= 0[/itex], even if v is NOT an eigenvector of A. But in that case, [itex]u= (A- \lambda I)v[/itex] is NOT 0 but we still must have [itex](A- \lambda I)^2 v= (A- \lambda I)((A- \lambda I)v)= (A- \lambda I)u= 0[/itex] which says that u is an eigenvector of A.

That is, in order to have [itex](A- \lambda I)^2 v= 0[/itex], either v is an eigenvector of A or [itex](A- \lambda v)[/itex] is an eigenvector.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of a generalized eigenvector?

A generalized eigenvector is a vector that satisfies the equation (A - λI)^kx = 0, where A is a square matrix, λ is an eigenvalue, I is the identity matrix, and k is a positive integer. In other words, it is a vector that, when multiplied by the matrix A and raised to the power of k, results in the zero vector.

2. How is a generalized eigenvector different from a regular eigenvector?

A regular eigenvector, also known as a simple eigenvector, satisfies the equation Ax = λx, where A is a square matrix, λ is an eigenvalue, and x is a non-zero vector. A generalized eigenvector, on the other hand, satisfies the equation (A - λI)^kx = 0, where k is a positive integer and x is a non-zero vector.

3. What is the importance of generalized eigenvectors in linear algebra?

Generalized eigenvectors are important in linear algebra because they allow us to find a basis for the generalized eigenspace of a matrix. This basis can then be used to find the Jordan canonical form of the matrix, which is a useful form for solving certain types of problems.

4. Can a matrix have more generalized eigenvectors than regular eigenvectors?

Yes, a matrix can have more generalized eigenvectors than regular eigenvectors. In fact, a matrix can have infinitely many generalized eigenvectors, but only a finite number of regular eigenvectors.

5. How are generalized eigenvectors used in solving systems of differential equations?

Generalized eigenvectors are used in solving systems of differential equations by providing a basis for the solution space. The Jordan canonical form of a matrix, which is found using generalized eigenvectors, can be used to solve systems of linear differential equations with constant coefficients.