Generate a function from a list of numbers

In summary, the task is to find the 31st number in a list of numbers where each term describes the previous term. The pattern may involve counting the number of consecutive digits in a term, rather than interpreting the digits as a whole number. There may be multiple possible answers for this sequence.
chipChocolate
I have a list of numbers x = [1, 11, 21, 1211, 111221,...], I need to find the 31st number in that list.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Look and say

Hint 2: 11 should not be seen as "eleven" but rather as individual ones.

chipChocolate said:
I have a list of numbers x = [1, 11, 21, 1211, 111221,...], I need to find the 31st number in that list.

It could be anything. Truncating a sequence loses all information about subsequent terms.

Are you told how to construct the [itex]n[/itex]th term, given the values of previous terms? If so, you need to do that.

The actual question is to find the length of the 31st term.

Last edited:
chipChocolate said:
The actual question is to find the length of the 31st term.

You need to recognize the pattern first. See Post #2.

Hint: The next term says something, quite literally, about the previous term.

micromass said:
You need to recognize the pattern first. See Post #2.

Thanks for the hint, I finally got it.

The problem with this type of questions is that they have more than one answer in general. For this particular sequence we have 3 possibilities that can be found at OEIS.

1. How do I generate a function from a list of numbers?

To generate a function from a list of numbers, you will need to analyze the pattern or relationship between the numbers. This can be done by plotting the numbers on a graph and looking for a trend, or by using mathematical techniques such as regression to find a mathematical formula that fits the data.

2. What is the purpose of generating a function from a list of numbers?

The purpose of generating a function from a list of numbers is to create a mathematical representation of the data. This can help in making predictions, analyzing trends, and making calculations based on the given set of numbers.

3. Can I generate a function from any list of numbers?

Yes, you can generate a function from any list of numbers as long as there is a clear pattern or relationship between the numbers. However, the accuracy and usefulness of the function may vary depending on the complexity and amount of data.

4. What are some tools or methods for generating a function from a list of numbers?

Some common tools and methods for generating a function from a list of numbers include graphing, regression analysis, curve fitting, and using mathematical formulas such as polynomials or exponential functions.

5. Is there a limit to the number of variables in a function generated from a list of numbers?

No, there is no limit to the number of variables in a function generated from a list of numbers. The number of variables will depend on the complexity and nature of the data, and the desired level of accuracy for the function.