1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generate new image from principal components of many images

1. May 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm having a bit of difficulty with a neuroscience course - it's about the primary visual cortex.

I have a bunch of image patches (16*16) and I need to generate synthesised images using principal component analysis as a generative model. I reshaped the images to vectors with 256 elements (50000 observations) and got the principal components (a 256*256 matrix)

Now I need to 'generate synthesized images using my PCA as a generative model and assuming that the marginal distribution of the components is Gaussian with a variance equal to the variance of the learned component.'

I've thought about it for ages, and I just can't understand what the assignment is trying to get me to do. Could anyone please please please offer me some help? I'm really stuck.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I thougth perhaps a new image would be x1p1 + x2p2 + x3p3.... etc where pi is a principal component and x is a gaussian distribution of coefficients, but that doesn't seem right.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted