Generating eddy currents, what is the best way?

• I
  • Thread starter Stardust99
  • Start date
Stardust99
TL;DR Summary
lift aluminum parts with the help of eddy currents.
Hello

I would like to lift aluminum parts with the help of eddy currents.

The bar magnets A are plugged on the drums B or C.
The drums are rotating.

What is the best arrangement of the magnets (B or C) to lift the aluminum?

Does anyone know ?

Thanks and greetings.

Attachments

• Wirbelstrom-erzeugen-03.PNG
    Wirbelstrom-erzeugen-03.PNG
    18.1 KB · Views: 33

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Welcome to PF. :smile:

You can repel the Aluminum, but I don't think you can attract it with eddy currents...

1643903768840.png

https://www.recyclingtoday.com/article/magnetic-equipment-guide----eddy-current-separators/

The key component is the magnetic rotor, which is a series of permanent rare Earth magnets mounted on a support plate attached to a shaft. The magnetic rotor is surrounded by (but not attached to) a nonmetallic shell which supports the conveyor belt. This allows the rotor to spin independently and at a much higher speed than the nonmetallic shell and belt.

When a piece of nonferrous metal, such as aluminum, passes over the separator, the magnets inside the shell rotate past the aluminum at high speed. This forms eddy currents in the aluminum, which in turn create a magnetic field around the piece of aluminum. The polarity of that magnetic field is the same as the rotating magnet, causing the aluminum to be repelled away from the magnet. This repulsion makes the trajectory of the aluminum greater than that of the nonmetallics, allowing the two material streams to be separated.​

Suggested for: Generating eddy currents, what is the best way?

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies