Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generating using a DC brushed motor

1. Jan 19, 2009 #1
    Good Evening

I'm interested in the possibility of using a DC brushed motor as a generator (ie running it in reverse - mechanically turning the shaft to produce electricity).

However, I have no idea how to calculate the power I could potentially achieve. Any tips or equations in particular would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

A good start would be to look at the specifications for the motor's normal operation. What is the input current listed for the specified DC input voltage? That will give you a pretty good ballpark idea of what the output current will be when you are turning the motor fast enough to generate the specified voltage. Motors are pretty efficient, so you may only have to derate the motor numbers by a couple tens of percent to get the generator numbers.

Be sure to calculate the associated powers, so you know what kind of input mechanical power will be required to get that output electrical power.

4. Jan 19, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Oh, and the output of DC motors is generally pretty noisy, due to flyback impulses when the brushes are switching. Be sure to plan on an output snubber/filter circuit to clean up the DC output voltage.

5. Jan 20, 2009 #4
    Please excuse me if this comment is stupid, but would it not be possible to use a brushless DC motor - and then there wouldnt be an issue of a noisy output signal ?

6. Jan 20, 2009 #5
    Ah, You need a more complex control system to run a brushless dc motor correct ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?