1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geocentric vs heliocentric model evidence

1. Feb 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I wasn't sure where the most appropriate place to post this question is. But anyway.

Which of these, if any, can be used as evidence that the Earth revolves around the sun.
    1. The phases of the moon
    2. The seasons
    3. analemma of the sun
    4. solar and lunar eclipses
    5. the sun is more massive than the Earth
    6. because we have observed it from space with probes

I know there is other evidence, but I'm trying to see if any of these also make sense and I should add them to the list. I think 1-4 can be explained using the geocentric model too. Laws of gravitation I guess would make 5 an okay answer. I'm not sure if we really have "observed" the Earth going around the Sun.

Thoughts?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

5 plus gravity is a very strong argument.
    Every space probe far away from Earth has to take the current position of Earth into account to communicate with Earth. And that position is correct in one model only.
    Of course we have.

4. Feb 14, 2016 #3
    okay cool, I guess I was taking the word "observe" too seriously.... The first 4 can be explained somehow in a geocentric model right? I figure it must because these were all things observed back then and they seemed content with the geocentric model despite these observations. The analemma one is really confusing me, I just can't visualize in my head if you could get an analemma in a geocentric system?

5. Feb 14, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Well, technically you can always choose geocentric coordinates. It just leads to really weird physics once you realize the (other) planets have elliptic orbits around the sun.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted