Solve Geodesic Problem: Show ku^β = u^α∇αu^β

• Thread starter quasar_4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geodesic
In summary, the problem at hand is to show that any curve whose tangent satisfies the geodesic equation with a constant k, can be reparameterized to satisfy the geodesic equation with a constant of 0. The solution involves reparameterizing the curve and expanding the geodesic equation using the product rule. The next step involves relating the terms to the other side of the geodesic equation and solving for t(lambda). The confusion lies in the term \nabla_\alpha \frac{dt}{d\lambda}, as it is unclear what it means mathematically and how to proceed from there.
quasar_4

Homework Statement

I'm working my way through Wald's GR book and doing this geodesic problem:

Show that any curve whose tangent satisfies [itex] u^\alpha \nabla_\alpha u^\beta = k u^\beta [/itex], where k is a constant, can be reparameterized so that [itex] \tilde{u}^\alpha \nabla_\alpha \tilde{u}^\beta = 0 [/itex].

Homework Equations

Geodesic equation

The Attempt at a Solution

If we assume that the curve was originally parameterized so that [itex] u = d/d\lambda [/itex] and we reparameterize so that [itex] \tilde{u} = d/dt [/itex] with [itex]t = t(\lambda) [/itex] then it follows immediately that [itex] u^\alpha = \frac{dt}{d\lambda}\tilde{u}^\alpha [/itex].

So then [itex] u^\alpha \nabla_\alpha u^\beta = u^\alpha \nabla_\alpha \left(\frac{dt}{d\lambda}\tilde{u}^\beta \right) [/itex]. Now I know I need to expand this out into two terms, and I was thinking I could use the product rule to do that, but I'm a bit confused about how to do that. It seems I'd get
[itex] u^\alpha \nabla_\alpha u^\beta = u^\alpha \nabla_\alpha \left(\frac{dt}{d\lambda}\tilde{u}^\beta \right) = \frac{dt}{d\lambda}u^\alpha \nabla_\alpha \tilde{u}^\beta + u^\alpha \tilde{u^\beta} \nabla_\alpha \frac{dt}{d\lambda} [/itex]
The first term I can relate to my definition [itex] u^\alpha = \frac{dt}{d\lambda}\tilde{u}^\alpha [/itex] to get [itex] \left(\frac{dt}{d\lambda}\right)^2 \tilde{u}^\alpha \nabla_\alpha \tilde{u}^\beta [/itex], and I know I'm supposed to relate this and the other term to the other side of the geodesic equation (with the constant k) to get a differential equation to solve for t(lambda). But I'm confused about how to get there from here, mostly from term [itex] \nabla_\alpha \frac{dt}{d\lambda} [/itex]. I don't understand what it means mathematically (isn't dt/dlambda a scalar?), let alone how to do anything with it. Can anyone explain how to take the next step? Or was my "product rule" guess total nonsense?

Physics news on Phys.org
transform all vectors and remember that the covariant derivative becomes a partial derivative for scalars

1. What is the geodesic problem?

The geodesic problem is a mathematical concept in the field of differential geometry. It involves finding the shortest or longest path between two points on a curved surface or space, known as a geodesic. This concept has applications in physics, particularly in the study of gravity and the motion of particles in curved space-time.

2. How is the geodesic problem related to ku^β = u^α∇αu^β?

The equation ku^β = u^α∇αu^β is known as the geodesic equation. It is used to find the geodesic or shortest path between two points on a curved surface or space, where k is a constant and u^α is a unit vector tangent to the path. This equation essentially describes the acceleration of a particle moving along a geodesic.

3. What does the symbol ∇ represent in the geodesic equation?

The symbol ∇ (pronounced "del") is known as the covariant derivative in differential geometry. In the context of the geodesic equation, it represents the directional derivative of a vector along a geodesic path. It takes into account the curvature and geometry of the space or surface, allowing for the calculation of the shortest or longest path between two points.

4. How is the geodesic problem solved?

The geodesic problem is solved by using the geodesic equation and the properties of the space or surface in question. This involves finding the appropriate unit vector u^α and solving the equation ku^β = u^α∇αu^β, where k is a constant determined by the initial conditions of the problem. This process may involve calculus and other mathematical techniques.

5. What are some applications of the geodesic problem?

The geodesic problem has many applications in physics, particularly in the study of gravity and the motion of particles in curved space-time. It is also used in various fields of engineering, such as robotics and computer graphics, to calculate the most efficient path between two points. In addition, the concept of geodesics has been applied to the study of networks and transportation systems.