Geometric Sum (Power Series) Calculation

In summary, after trying to calculate the sum \sum_{i=1}^n{i^2}, the speaker discovered the expansion \sum_{i=1}^p \sum_{j=0}^{i-1} (-1)^j(i-j)^p {n+p-i+1\choose n-i} {p+1\choose j}, but was wondering if there was an easier or more intuitive way to compute the limit. Another person suggested using the identity \sum_{i=1}^n{\left((i+1)^3\,-\,i^3}\right), which the speaker attempted to expand as \sum_{i=1}^n{i^3+3i^2
rwinston
Hi

In trying to calculate the following sum:

[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^n{i^2}
[/tex]

I found the following expansions:

[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^p \sum_{j=0}^{i-1} (-1)^j(i-j)^p {n+p-i+1\choose n-i} {p+1\choose j}
[/tex]

My question is: is there an easier or more intuitive way to compute the limit of the sum above?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is infinity. :smile:

And what you have is not a geometric series.

Last edited:
Hi rwinston! :smile:

Hint: what is [tex]\sum_{i=1}^n{\left((i+1)^3\,-\,i^3}\right)[/tex] ? :smile:

Hi tim

So I think the expansion of that sum is

[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^n{i^3+3i^2+3i+1} - \sum_{i=1}^n{i^3}
[/tex]
[tex]
=\sum_{i=1}^{n}{3i^2+3i+1}
[/tex]
[tex]
=3\sum_{i=1}^n{i^2}+3\sum_{i=1}^n{i}+n
[/tex]

Im not sure what the connection is yet tho...

Last edited:
rwinston said:
Hi tim

So I think the expansion of that sum is

[tex]
\sum_{i=1}^n{i^3+3i^2+3i+1} - \sum_{i=1}^n{i^3}
[/tex]
[tex]
=\sum_{i=1}^{n}{3i^2+3i+1}
[/tex]
[tex]
=3\sum_{i=1}^n{i^2}+3\sum_{i=1}^n{i}+n
[/tex]

Im not sure what the connection is yet tho...

ah… but you know what [tex]3\sum_{i=1}^n{i}\,+\,n[/tex] is;

And you also know what [tex]\sum_{i=1}^n{\left((i+1)^3\,-\,i^3}\right)[/tex] is … don't you … ?

So [tex]\sum_{i=1}^n{i^2}[/tex] is one-third the difference! :smile:

What is a geometric sum?

A geometric sum is a series of numbers where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio. It can be written in the form of ∑n=0 arn, where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

How do you calculate a geometric sum?

The formula for calculating a geometric sum is Sn = a(1 − rn) / (1 − r), where Sn represents the sum of the first n terms, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. Alternatively, if the value of r is between -1 and 1, the sum can be calculated using the formula Sn = a / (1 − r).

What is the difference between a finite and infinite geometric sum?

A finite geometric sum has a set number of terms, whereas an infinite geometric sum continues indefinitely. In other words, a finite geometric sum has a specific end point, while an infinite geometric sum does not.

When is a geometric sum useful in real-world applications?

A geometric sum can be useful in various real-world applications, such as calculating compound interest, population growth, and depreciation of assets. It can also be used in physics and engineering to model natural phenomena, such as radioactive decay and exponential growth.

How do you determine if a geometric sum converges or diverges?

A geometric sum converges if the absolute value of the common ratio is less than 1. In other words, if |r| < 1, the sum will approach a finite value as the number of terms increases. If |r| ≥ 1, the sum will diverge and approach infinity. Additionally, if r = 1, the sum will have a finite value, and if r = -1, the sum will alternate between two values and not have a specific limit.