Geometrical proof using vectors

In summary, in the conversation, the question was how to show the values of h and k in a given parallelogram, and the solution involved using the equations OD = hOB = h(a+c) and OD = OA + AD = a + kAC. The parallel vector and position vector of a point on the line were used to define the line AC and the values of h and k were found by equating coefficients and solving for k.
nobahar
Hello again, another vector question.

The diagram (not included) shows a parallelogram OABC with OA=a and OC=c; AC and OB intersect at point D such that OD=hOB and AD=kAC.
How do I show what h and k equal?
I managed to achieve:
a+c=2DB+AD-DC=2OD+DC-AD=OB
and
c-a=2DC+OD-DB=2AD+DB-OD=AC
Furthermore, I know that AD+DB=OD+DC and OD-AD=DB-DC
I can 'see' that h and k = 1/2; but how do I show it?
As always, the help is appreciated. I love you people :).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi nobahar! :smile:

Hint: what is the vector equation for a general point on AC? :wink:

The equation of the line AC could be: r=zAD+c; r=zAD+a; r=zAD+xOB? (xOB being OD.)
I'm guessing any of these are suitable since it satisfies the need for a parallel vector and a position vector?
Then, any point that meets the line AC should =r, with different values for z. Where do I go from here? (If anywhere!)

Hi nobahar! :smile:
nobahar said:
The equation of the line AC could be: r=zAD+c; r=zAD+a

hmm … sort-of the right idea …

but AD is unknown …

look for something similar that only involves a and c (which are given) and numbers. :smile:

Hello again!
Right, my maths tutor offered me this solution by e-mail:
"OD = hOB = h(a+c) = ha +hc
OD = OA + AD = a + kAC = a + k(c - a)

Hence ha + hc= a + kc -ka
Equating coefficients of a: h = 1 - k
Equating coefficients of c: h = k
Hence k=1-k
2k = 1
k=0.5 = h"

From this (and other comments from her e-mail) I established the 'relationships' I first offered served no purpose; and (thanks to Tiny Tims input) neither did the vector equations of a line I proposed.
However, I still have some further questions; since I like to understand as much as possible and as clearly as possible before moving on.
I'm guessing the above isn't a vector equation of a line at any point, since it doesn't contain a parallel vector?
On that basis, presumably there is going to be an alternative method?
As always, thanks in advance.

nobahar said:
OD = hOB = h(a+c) = ha +hc
OD = OA + AD = a + kAC = a + k(c - a)

I'm guessing the above isn't a vector equation of a line at any point, since it doesn't contain a parallel vector?
On that basis, presumably there is going to be an alternative method?

Hello nobahar! :smile:

The vector equation for the line AC (ie for a general point P on AC) is OP = OA + kAC for any number k,

(of course, it's the same as OP = OC + k'AC, with k' = k + 1)

because you go to A first, and then as far as you like along the direction of AC.

(This is the equation your teacher used, with D = P. :wink:)

But I don't understand what you mean by "it doesn't contain a parallel vector". :confused:

For the parallel vector I was just going by the textbook, which proposes that: "...a line is defined if we know:
i) a vector that is parallel to the line,
and ii) the position vector of a point on the line.
(Sadler, A.J., Thorning, D.W.S (2007, pg.65). Understanding Pure Mathematics, Glasgow: Oxford Universty Press).
I now realize that a parallel vector is unnecessary if the direction of the vector in question is already identified (?).
One final question :tongue:
why k'=k+1 in OP=OC+k'AC?
OP=OC-AC+kAC or OP=OC-(AC-kAC)
OP=c-(c-a)+k(c-a)
OP=c-c+a+kc-ka
OP=a+kc-ka= OA+kAC

nobahar said:
"...a line is defined if we know:
i) a vector that is parallel to the line,
and ii) the position vector of a point on the line.

I now realize that a parallel vector is unecessary if the direction of the vector in question is already identified (?).

don't forget … c - a isn't the vector AC, it's a vector from O parallel to AC. :wink:

so c - a was "a vector that is parallel to the line" :smile:
One final question :tongue:
why k'=k+1 in OP=OC+k'AC?
OP=OC-AC+kAC or OP=OC-(AC-kAC)
OP=c-(c-a)+k(c-a)
OP=c-c+a+kc-ka
OP=a+kc-ka= OA+kAC

hmm … perhaps that should have been k' = k - 1 :redface::

OP = c - (c-a) + k(c-a)
OP = c + (k - 1)(c-a) :smile:

That is excellent!
Thankyou for your help; as always Mr. Tiny Tim, it's much appreciated. :smile:

1. What is a geometrical proof using vectors?

A geometrical proof using vectors is a method of proving geometric theorems and properties by using vector operations and properties. It involves using the concept of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction, to demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem.

2. How is a geometrical proof using vectors different from other proof methods?

Unlike other proof methods, a geometrical proof using vectors relies on the use of vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication, to establish the validity of a statement. It also utilizes the geometric properties of vectors, such as direction and magnitude, to prove geometric theorems.

3. What are some common vector properties used in geometrical proofs?

Some common vector properties used in geometrical proofs include the commutative and associative properties of vector addition, the distributive property of scalar multiplication, and the properties of parallel and perpendicular vectors.

4. Why are vectors useful in geometrical proofs?

Vectors are useful in geometrical proofs because they provide a geometric interpretation of algebraic operations. This allows for a more visual and intuitive approach to proving geometric theorems, making it easier to understand and apply them in various mathematical contexts.

5. What are some tips for successfully using geometrical proofs with vectors?

Some tips for successfully using geometrical proofs with vectors include understanding the basic properties and operations of vectors, visualizing geometric concepts, and using algebraic techniques to manipulate vector equations. It is also important to practice regularly and seek help when needed.