1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distance between the force and origin

1. Sep 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In this note , I was told that either vector OD , OC , AD and AC can be used as the distance between the Force and OA axis ... why ? To produce moment , the distance r must be originate from the origin of force ( point C ) , am i right ? So , IMO, only r AC can be used...

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

• 8.png
      8.png
      File size:
      219.1 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2015 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Note the presence of the cross product when calculating the moment. Would any of those choices give a different result?

4. Sep 17, 2015 #3
    Sorry, I still don't understand. Can you explain further?

5. Sep 17, 2015 #4

Doc Al

Realize that when you take the cross product ##\vec{r} \times \vec{F}##, where ##\vec{r}## is a vector starting at pt O and extending anywhere along the line of ##\vec{F}##, that you get the same answer. Essentially you are finding the perpendicular distance between pt O and the line.

In simpler terms: r X F = r sinθ F. Realize that when r changes, θ also changes so that r sinθ remains the same. Play around with this until you get it.

6. Sep 17, 2015 #5
    from the figure , it show that the vector r _OD is not along the vector F ....
    By saying ##\vec{r}## is a vector starting at pt O and extending anywhere along the line of ##\vec{F}## , do you mean like this ? the r can be any vector ( in different colours ) along the vector F ?

Attached Files:

• 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      51.5 KB
      Views:
  7. Sep 17, 2015 #6
    Since Force at C is moved towards D , why not Vector r_CD is used ?

8. Sep 18, 2015 #7

Doc Al

Yes.

9. Sep 18, 2015 #8

Doc Al

Vector r begins at pt O.

10. Sep 18, 2015 #9
    sorry, I'm still confused now . IMO, vector r _OD is not along the vector F .

11. Sep 18, 2015 #10
    Can you explain further?

12. Sep 18, 2015 #11

Doc Al

That's true, it is not. Why would you think it would be?

Are you confusing it with vector CD?

13. Sep 19, 2015 #12
    Becoz I was told that the vector r must originate from anywhere along line of action ( force)

14. Sep 19, 2015 #13

Doc Al

The vector r originates at point O and terminates anywhere along the line of action of the force.

15. Sep 19, 2015 #14
    the line of action refers to the line along F , right ? Vector CD isn't on this line , so i think vector CD is not suitable ...

16. Sep 19, 2015 #15

Doc Al

Right.

Looks to me like F points along the line CD.

17. Sep 19, 2015 #16
    Ya, it points along cd? Why vector cd is not used? But vector od is used?

18. Sep 19, 2015 #17

Doc Al

You seem to be mixing up ##\vec{r}## with ##\vec{F}##. The vector r must begin at O and end somewhere on the line of action of F. So r could be OD or OC or anything in between, but not CD!

19. Sep 19, 2015 #18
    oh , yeah . I forgot that F can be longer . It doesnt necessarily ends at point D. that's why I'm confused.

20. Oct 15, 2015 #19
    if i use MOA = uOA . (rOC X F) , then my ans = 108 , if i use MOA = uOA . (rOD X F) , then the ans = 100 , is it correct ?

21. Oct 16, 2015 #20
    sorry , i didnt mean to spam , can someone help me with this ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted