[Geometry + Algebra] Integrated Questions

In summary: Yes, I found $x=2-\sqrt{3}\approx0.27$ as well. :DSo, to complete the exercise, you could now answer the following:(b) Find the value of x, correct to 2 decimal places.In summary, we can use the formula for the area of a trapezium/trapezoid and the information given about the areas of the two shaded areas to express the length of FG in terms of x. After simplification, we have \overline{FG}=\frac{5x-1}{x+1}. Additionally, by observing the similarity between \triangle BFG and \triangle BDC, we can conclude that \overline{FG}=x
rtwikia
View attachment 4969

In the figure, ABCD is a square of side 1 cm. ABFE and CDFG are trapeziums(/trapeziods?). The Area of CDFG is twice the Area of ABFE. Let x cm be the length of AE.

(a) Express the length of FG in terms of x.

(b) Find the value of x, correct to 2 decimal places.

Thanks! :D

Attachments

• math3.jpg
    math3.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 60
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to MHB, rtwikia! :D

We ask that our users post what they have tried so that we best know how to help, as we can then see where you are stuck or may be going wrong.

To answer part a), we could use the formula for the area of a trapezium/trapezoid and the information given about the areas of the two shaded areas. Using this formula:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{h}{2}(B+b)\)

We may then write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\overline{CG}}{2}(\overline{CD}+\overline{FG})=2\cdot\frac{\overline{AE}}{2}(\overline{AB}+\overline{EF})\)

Now, we know the following (all measures are in cm):

\(\displaystyle \overline{CG}=1-x\)

\(\displaystyle \overline{CD}=1\)

\(\displaystyle \overline{AE}=x\)

\(\displaystyle \overline{AB}=1\)

\(\displaystyle \overline{EF}=1-\overline{FG}\)

Can you now use all of this to write an equation involving only \(\displaystyle \overline{FG}\) and $x$, for which you can then solve for \(\displaystyle \overline{FG}\)?

I got

$\frac{1-x}{2}\left(1+\overline{FG}\right)=x\left(2-\overline{FG}\right)$

Am I right? :D

rtwikia said:
I got

$\frac{1-x}{2}\left(1+\overline{FG}\right)=x\left(2-\overline{FG}\right)$

Am I right? :D

First, I just wanted to let you know I wrapped the $\LaTeX$ code you posted with [MATH][/MATH] tags so it would be parsed as such.

Yes, your equation is correct. Now, you are asked to express $\overline{FG}$ in terms of $x$, so you need to solve that equation for $\overline{FG}$. :)

MarkFL said:
Yes, your equation is correct. Now, you are asked to express $\overline{FG}$ in terms of $x$, so you need to solve that equation for $\overline{FG}$. :)

After simplification, I found that $\overline{FG}=\frac{5x-1}{1+x}$. Can it be simplified further or is this the final answer? (When I measure the picture it measures nearly excatly $x$ cm):confused:

rtwikia said:
After simplification, I found that $\overline{FG}=\frac{5x-1}{1+x}$. Can it be simplified further or is this the final answer? (When I measure the picture it measures nearly excatly $x$ cm):confused:

Excellent! I also obtained:

\(\displaystyle \overline{FG}=\frac{5x-1}{x+1}\)

Now, about your measurement...which will lead us to be able to answer part (b) of the exercise, we should be able to see that \(\displaystyle \triangle BFG\) and \(\displaystyle \triangle BDC\) are similar. This similarity allows us to write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{\overline{FG}}=\frac{\overline{BC}}{\overline{DC}}\)

Now, since $\overline{BC}=\overline{DC}=1$, this leads us to conclude:

\(\displaystyle \overline{FG}=x\)

And then taking our previous result, we may then equate our two expressions, and write:

\(\displaystyle x=\frac{5x-1}{x+1}\)

This will lead to a quadratic, where we should discard any roots unless we find $0<x<1$. What do you find?

MarkFL said:

Now, about your measurement...which will lead us to be able to answer part (b) of the exercise, we should be able to see that \(\displaystyle \triangle BFG\) and \(\displaystyle \triangle BDC\) are similar. This similarity allows us to write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x}{\overline{FG}}=\frac{\overline{BC}}{\overline{DC}}\)

Now, since $\overline{BC}=\overline{DC}=1$, this leads us to conclude:

\(\displaystyle \overline{FG}=x\)

I've noted that it isn't given that $BFD$ is a straight line.:confused: Does it affect the deduction process?:confused:

rtwikia said:
I've noted that it isn't given that $BFD$ is a straight line.:confused: Does it affect the deduction process?:confused:

Without assuming $\overline{BD}$ is a diagonal of the square $ABCD$, I don't see how we can find the value of $x$. :)

MarkFL said:
Without assuming $\overline{BD}$ is a diagonal of the square $ABCD$, I don't see how we can find the value of $x$. :)

Okay then. And thanks by the way. I got the answer $0.27$ already.(Rock)

rtwikia said:
Okay then. And thanks by the way. I got the answer $0.27$ already.(Rock)

Yes, I found $x=2-\sqrt{3}\approx0.27$ as well. :D

Related to [Geometry + Algebra] Integrated Questions

1. What is the difference between geometry and algebra?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of shapes and figures, while algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and express relationships between variables.

2. How are geometry and algebra integrated in mathematics?

Geometry and algebra are integrated in mathematics through the use of coordinates and equations. In geometry, coordinates are used to represent points on a plane, and in algebra, equations are used to express relationships between variables. By combining these concepts, mathematicians are able to solve complex problems involving both geometric shapes and algebraic equations.

3. What are some common applications of geometry and algebra integration?

Geometry and algebra integration have a wide range of applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. For example, engineers use geometric concepts and algebraic equations to design buildings and structures, while physicists use them to model and predict the behavior of physical systems.

4. How can I improve my understanding of integrated geometry and algebra questions?

One way to improve your understanding of integrated geometry and algebra questions is to practice solving problems that require both geometric and algebraic reasoning. You can also review basic concepts in geometry and algebra to strengthen your foundation before tackling more complex problems.

5. Are there any tips for solving integrated geometry and algebra questions more efficiently?

One tip for solving integrated geometry and algebra questions more efficiently is to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also use visual aids, such as diagrams and graphs, to better understand the problem and identify any geometric or algebraic relationships that may be present. Additionally, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with common problem-solving strategies.