Geometry help i dont get this

• Thread starter Devinnator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation is about a problem that requires plotting the coordinates of a swimming pool and picnic area on a grid representing 1/10 of a mile. The question is how far it is from the picnic area to the swimming pool in both grid units and miles. The person is struggling to convert their answer of 5 and 4/5 grid units to miles and is asked to use common sense to determine the distance in grid units.
Devinnator
What had to be plotted:
Ill just say what's needed for this problem
S (swimming pool. (-3,-1)
P (picnic. (2,2)
Ok here are the instructions: Each Grid represents 1/10 of a mile.

Question)
How far is it from picnic area to the swimming pool? Give your answers in grid units and in miles.

i keep getting 5 and 4/5 i don't know how to change that to miles and please if someone can check if that's right in the first place

Physics news on Phys.org
Use common sense:
If ONE grid unit is ONE-TENTH of a mile,
How much is:
2 grid units?

3 grid units?
4 grid units?
1039 grid units?

5 + 4/5 grid units?

From the given coordinates, it appears that the distance between the picnic area and the swimming pool is approximately 5.4 grid units. To convert this to miles, we need to know the scale of the grid. If each grid represents 1/10 of a mile, then the distance between the two points would be 5.4 x 1/10 = 0.54 miles. Therefore, the answer in miles is approximately 0.54 miles.

It is always important to carefully read and understand the instructions and given information in a problem before attempting to solve it. In this case, the grid units were given as representing 1/10 of a mile, which is crucial information for converting the final answer to miles. It is always a good idea to double check your calculations to ensure they are accurate.

1. What is geometry?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of shapes and their positions in space.

2. Why do I need to learn geometry?

Geometry is used in many real-life applications, such as architecture, engineering, and art. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What are the basic concepts in geometry?

The basic concepts in geometry include points, lines, angles, shapes, and their properties. Other important concepts include congruence, similarity, and transformations.

4. How can I improve my understanding of geometry?

Practice is key to understanding geometry. You can also try using visual aids, such as drawings or diagrams, to help you better visualize the concepts. Seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial.

5. What are some common mistakes in geometry?

Some common mistakes in geometry include confusing similar-looking shapes, not labeling diagrams correctly, and forgetting to apply relevant theorems or formulas. It is important to double-check your work and be mindful of these potential errors.