Geometry - Help with theorem proof please

In summary: I appreciate it! :DIn summary, the conversation was about proving a theorem that stated if points A, B, C, and D were given and the vector from A to B was equal to the vector from C to D, then it follows that A must equal C. The conversation involved clarifying definitions and using properties of between-ness to prove that A must equal C if the given conditions are met.
Lee33
Geometry -- Help with theorem proof please

Homework Statement

Let ##A,B,C,D## be points. If ##\vec{AB} = \vec{CD}## then ##A=C##.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

This question was a theorem in my book that wasn't proved. I am wondering how to prove it?

It is saying that the vertex ##A## must equal ##C## if the ray ##\vec{AB} = \vec{CD}##.

The definition I have for ray is:

##\vec{AB} = \vec{AB} \cup \{ C \in P \ | \ A-B-C\}.## Where ##A-B-C## means ##B## is between ##A## and ##C##. And ##P## is the set of points.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Lee33! :smile:

(your definition doesn't look quite correct)

Suppose A ≠ C

A is in ##\vec{CD}##, so … ? :wink:

tiny-tim - Can you elaborate a bit more please?

Apply the definition you were given …
Lee33 said:

##\vec{AB} = \vec{AB} \cup \{ C \in P \ | \ A-B-C\}.## Where ##A-B-C## means ##B## is between ##A## and ##C##. And ##P## is the set of points.

Suppose A ≠ C

C is in ##\vec{AB}##, so what can you say about A B and C ? :wink:

If C is in ##\vec{AB}## and ##C\ne A## then B is between A and C?

Lee33 said:

This definition makes no sense to me. First off, why would ##\vec{AB}## be equal to itself union some other thing (unless the other thing happened to be the empty set).

Second, how do you interpret ##\{ C \in P \ | \ A-B-C\}##? Does | have its usual meaning of "such that" or am I missing something? An explanation, in words, would be helpful.

Third, where are these points? Are they on a line or are they in the plane?

Fourth, how do you get that A - B - C means that B is between A and C?

Sorry, I will elaborate.

First question: If A and B are distinct points in a metric geometry then the line segment from A to B is the set ##\vec{AB}=\{C \in P \ | \ A-C-B \ or \ C = A \ or \ C = B\}##.

If A and B are distinct points in a metric geometry then the ray from A toward B is the set ##\vec{AB}=\vec{AB}\cup \{C\in P \ | \ A-B-C\}.##

Second question: Yes, it means such that. Let P be the set of points in a metric geometry, and let C be a point in P such that B is between A and C.

Third question: They are on a line.

Fourth: That is just a notation for convenience. ##A-B-C## just means B is between A and C.

I will add the definition of between-ness: B is between A and C if the distance ##d(A,B)+d(B,C) = d(A,C)##.

(just got up :zzz:)
Lee33 said:

nooo, C is (strictly) between A and B :wink:

ok, and if A is in ##\vec{CD}##, then … ? :smile:

If A is in ##\vec{CD}## then A is between C and D.

Lee33 said:

yes (strictly between) :smile:

ok, now you have two statements, and you should be able to prove a contradiction (thereby showing that "A ≠ C" was false) :wink:

(drawing yourself a diagram might help)

Alright thanks for the help! I will use your hints.

Question. Do I use both statements in my proof? That is, suppose ##A\ne C## and A is in ##\vec{CD}## then A is bewteen C and D. Also, I will use if ##A\ne C## and C is in ##\vec{AB}## then C is between A and B?

Lee33 said:
Question. Do I use both statements in my proof? That is, suppose ##A\ne C## and A is in ##\vec{CD}## then A is bewteen C and D. Also, I will use if ##A\ne C## and C is in ##\vec{AB}## then C is between A and B?

yes :smile:

You are using the same notation for line segment and ray, and it's confusing the bejeesus out of the people who are trying to help you.

Might I suggest ##\overline{AB}## for the segment and ##\overrightarrow{AB}## for the ray so that ##\overrightarrow{AB}=\overline{AB}\cup \{C\in P \ | \ A-B-C\}.##

gopher_p said:
… it's confusing the bejeesus out of the people who are trying to help you.

it's not confusing me :smile:

tiny-tim said:
it's not confusing me :smile:

Are you sure? :confused: Like, really sure? :cool: Because when Lee asked

Lee33 said:

you replied

tiny-tim said:
nooo, C is (strictly) between A and B :wink:

which is generally false :mad: regardless of which of Lee's two definitions of ##\vec{AB}## you're using. :tongue:

gopher_p said:
… which is generally false …

well, Lee33 :smile: didn't contradict me, sooo i assume i got it right! o:)

gopher_p - Sorry about that, you're right!

tiny-tim - If ##A\ne C## then ##C\in \vec{AB}## thus ##A-C-B## but where will the point ##D## be?

but you haven't used …
Lee33 said:

So my proof should go like this:

Suppose ##A\ne C##, now since ##\vec{AB}=\vec{CD}## then ##A\in \vec{CD}## and ##C\in \vec{AB}##. Thus ##C-A-D## and ##A-C-B## which is a contradiction?

yes!

if I'm understanding the terminology correctly, you can't have both ##A-C## and ##C-A## unless C = A :smile:

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much for the help!

1. What is a theorem?

A theorem is a statement that has been proven to be true using logical reasoning and previously established facts or axioms.

2. How do you write a proof for a theorem?

To write a proof for a theorem, you must clearly state the theorem, list any given information or assumptions, and then use deductive reasoning to logically show how the given information supports the conclusion of the theorem.

3. What are the different types of theorems?

There are several types of theorems, including geometric theorems, algebraic theorems, and calculus theorems. Geometric theorems deal with the properties and relationships of shapes and figures, algebraic theorems involve equations and formulas, and calculus theorems relate to the study of rates of change and functions.

4. How do you know when a proof is complete?

A proof is considered complete when all steps of the logical reasoning have been clearly stated and the conclusion has been shown to follow from the given information and assumptions. It should be clear and easy to follow for others to understand and reproduce.

5. What is the importance of proving theorems?

Proving theorems is crucial in mathematics and science as it allows us to establish new knowledge and understanding based on previously established facts. It also helps to strengthen our logical reasoning skills and encourages critical thinking. Moreover, theorems serve as a foundation for further advancements and applications in various fields.