1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry Triangle Congruence - Should be easy?

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    Geometry Triangle Congruence - **Edited to include diagram**

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi! The three simple geometry problems are in the attached photo. Sorry if they're difficult to read. I haven't seen this information in so long, and could use some help. :D

Can you use the given information to determine that (AB) = (BC) ̅? Justify your answer.

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I would say that we cannot conclude AB = BC, because we have ***, which you can't conclude anything from.

2. Yes, AB = BC, because we have two right triangles, BE = BE, and AE = EC. Thus the hypotenuses must be the same?

3. I feel like the answer is yes here. Can one say that BD bisects angle ABC? Therefore, we have ASA?

Thanks a lot guys/girls!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Geometry Triangle Congruence - **Edited to include diagram**

You are correct. Answers are: no, yes, yes.

For #1 you haven't given a reason.

For # 3, how do you know the the angle is bisected? BTW: You could have used SAS immediately.

4. Feb 11, 2012 #3
    Thanks Sammy!

For #1, I apparently typed a banned word via the abbreviation for angle-side-side. Whoops!

Is that a legitimate reason now to say no?

Also, for #3, I see now that the angle bisection comment is irrelevant and not necessarily justified either. When can you say that an angle is bisected?

Thanks again!

5. Feb 11, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, for #1 A$$ is as good as SSA .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook