Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Geometry Triangle Congruence - Should be easy?

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    Geometry Triangle Congruence - **Edited to include diagram**

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi! The three simple geometry problems are in the attached photo. Sorry if they're difficult to read. I haven't seen this information in so long, and could use some help. :D

Can you use the given information to determine that (AB) = (BC) ̅? Justify your answer.

3. The attempt at a solution

1. I would say that we cannot conclude AB = BC, because we have ***, which you can't conclude anything from.

2. Yes, AB = BC, because we have two right triangles, BE = BE, and AE = EC. Thus the hypotenuses must be the same?

3. I feel like the answer is yes here. Can one say that BD bisects angle ABC? Therefore, we have ASA?

Thanks a lot guys/girls!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Geometry Triangle Congruence - **Edited to include diagram**

You are correct. Answers are: no, yes, yes.

For #1 you haven't given a reason.

For # 3, how do you know the the angle is bisected? BTW: You could have used SAS immediately.

4. Feb 11, 2012 #3
    Thanks Sammy!

For #1, I apparently typed a banned word via the abbreviation for angle-side-side. Whoops!

Is that a legitimate reason now to say no?

Also, for #3, I see now that the angle bisection comment is irrelevant and not necessarily justified either. When can you say that an angle is bisected?

Thanks again!

5. Feb 11, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, for #1 A$$ is as good as SSA .

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook