Get the right answer but intermediate steps may be wrong

• MHB
  • Thread starter find_the_fun
  • Start date
In summary, the given differential equation has a unique solution that passes through the point (x_o, y_o) in the region where y is not equal to 2 or -2. The regions are defined by y>2, y<-2, or -2<y<2. A half-plane is a region that includes one half of the plane. The question does not specify what function y is, but it is known that y cannot be 2 or -2. Regions are subsets of the plane that are open, connected, and contain at least one point. They can be defined in terms of intervals, but other methods can also be used.
find_the_fun
I am able to solve problems of the kind, but I don't understand what I'm doing :D

Problem: determine a region of the xy-plane for which the given differential equation would have a unique solution whose graph passes through a point \(\displaystyle (x_o, y_o)\) in the region.

\(\displaystyle (4-y^2)y'=x^2\)

My work:
\(\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}=\frac{2x}{4-y^2}\)
\(\displaystyle \therefore y\ne\pm2\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=\frac{4}{4-y^2}\)

Answer key:
the reigions defined by y>2, y < -2 or -2<y<2
*other questions of the type of answers such asa as "halfplanes defined by either y>0 or y<0" this I don't understand; what's a halfplane?

Is it correct how I write \(\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\) and \(\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\), I'm not sure if it should be f or something else.

The question asks to find a region. When stating a region is interval notation always used?

Physics news on Phys.org
find_the_fun said:
I am able to solve problems of the kind, but I don't understand what I'm doing :D

Problem: determine a region of the xy-plane for which the given differential equation would have a unique solution whose graph passes through a point \(\displaystyle (x_o, y_o)\) in the region.

\(\displaystyle (4-y^2)y'=x^2\)

My work:
\(\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}=\frac{2x}{4-y^2}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=\frac{4}{4-y^2}\)

Answer key:
the reigions defined by y>2, y < -2 or -2<y<2
*other questions of the type of answers such asa as "halfplanes defined by either y>0 or y<0" this I don't understand; what's a halfplane?

Is it correct how I write \(\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\) and \(\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\), I'm not sure if it should be f or something else.

The question asks to find a region. When stating a region is interval notation always used?

I have no idea what "$f$" is.

We have:

$y' = \dfrac{x^2}{4 - y^2}$

This doesn't tell us what function of $x$ that $y$ is, but it DOES tell us that $y$ cannot be $\pm 2$ (or else $y'$ is undefined).

A half-plane is exactly what it sounds like: half of the plane; that is, two neighboring quadrants. There are four such beasts:

$\{(x,y) \in \Bbb R^2: x > 0\}$ (the "right half-plane")
$\{(x,y) \in \Bbb R^2: x < 0\}$ (the "left half-plane")
$\{(x,y) \in \Bbb R^2: y > 0\}$ (the "upper half-plane")
$\{(x,y) \in \Bbb R^2: y < 0\}$ (the "lower half-plane")

A region is a subset $U$ of the plane with the following properties:

1) Some point $(x,y)$ lies in the region $U$.
2) $U$ is a connected set.
3) $U$ is OPEN.

Some authors allow boundary points of $U$ to be added to $U$, and also call this a region. Examples of regions:

$\{(x,y) \in \Bbb R^2: x^2 + y^2 < 1\}$ -the open unit disk

$(a,b) \times (c,d)$ -an open RECTANGLE with corners $(a,c),(b,c),(a,d),(b,d)$ (note: the first set of pairs- in $(a,b)\times(c,d)$ refer to open intervals, the second set of pairs refer to POINTS).

$(-a,a) \times \Bbb R$-an open STRIP of width $2a$ centered on the $y$-axis

$\{(x,y) \in \Bbb R^2: xy < 1\}$ -the region bounded by the hyperbola $xy = 1$. Note this region contains all of the second and fourth quadrants.

The practical value of regions is this: for any point INSIDE a region, we can find a suitably small disk (or rectangle, depending on one's approach) entirely in the region. This let's us take limits, such as derivatives, and check for continuity.

So, no, regions do not HAVE to be defined in terms of intervals-but...we can use "interval arguments" as long as we are "close enough" to a point $(x_0,y_0)$ in the region (boundary points usually require special consideration).

Related to Get the right answer but intermediate steps may be wrong

1. What does it mean to get the right answer but have wrong intermediate steps?

Getting the right answer but having wrong intermediate steps means that the final solution is correct, but the process used to arrive at that solution may have errors or mistakes. This can happen if the steps are not followed correctly or if there are errors in calculations or assumptions.

2. Why is it important to have the right answer but also correct intermediate steps?

Having correct intermediate steps is important because it allows for proper understanding and verification of the solution. If the steps are wrong, it may be difficult to identify and fix the error, and the solution may not be reliable. Additionally, having correct intermediate steps helps in building a strong foundation for future problem-solving.

3. How can one ensure that they have the right answer and correct intermediate steps?

To ensure that the right answer is obtained with correct intermediate steps, it is important to double-check the work and verify each step along the way. This can be done by rechecking calculations, using multiple methods to solve the problem, and seeking help or feedback from others.

4. What are some common mistakes that can lead to the right answer but wrong intermediate steps?

Some common mistakes that can lead to the right answer but wrong intermediate steps include incorrect calculations, using the wrong formula or method, making incorrect assumptions, and not following the correct order of operations. It is important to be thorough and pay attention to detail to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can one improve their problem-solving skills to avoid making errors in intermediate steps?

To improve problem-solving skills and avoid errors in intermediate steps, it is important to practice regularly and seek feedback on solutions. It can also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps, and to double-check work and calculations along the way. Additionally, learning different problem-solving strategies can help in approaching problems more effectively.