Getting a physics job abroad after graduating in your home country

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mépris
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Job
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Mépris
Messages
847
Reaction score
11
Hi,

I wanted some information as to how one should proceed to get a job in country X when he is in country Y, which is a 15-hour plane ride away.

The easy way would be doing my degree in country X and working my way from there but the odds are that I will *have* to do this in Y. How do I proceed? I intend on going into physics or applied maths and perhaps, do a one year masters in stats or CS in Europe.

Just wanted to know. I want to start making some $$ asap while doing something intellectually stimulating. I think it's good to have a rough idea of what is feasible before I get into anything.

Note that country X could actually be anywhere the jobs are. I have no problem with moving to Tombouctou, if I have to. Could be an interesting adventure.

Cheers
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Find somebody that knows someone in that country that can get you a job. Honestly I don't see how anyone would answer your question - many jobs require a language you might not know. Others might be running at 30% unemployment and have no reason to hire a foreigner. You've only listed vague statements about what you are trying to accomplish.
 
fss said:
Find somebody that knows someone in that country that can get you a job. Honestly I don't see how anyone would answer your question - many jobs require a language you might not know. Others might be running at 30% unemployment and have no reason to hire a foreigner. You've only listed vague statements about what you are trying to accomplish.

I wanted to know if getting some kind of job doing math or cs-like with a master's degree only was possible. If it is now, assuming immigration laws and such don't change 4-5 years from now, well, it should be then.

Could be anywhere: France, North America, England, Australia, New Zealand, I don't care. I speak French/English.

The original plan was to go all the way to a PhD but I don't think I'd want to stay in that environment for that long and I think starting to make some money earlier would be better.
 
I did an internship abroad (not 15, but 8 hours away)
I think I might have been lucky to get it though.
I found an interesting internship offer, applied the same way like I'd do in my country and quickly got it. It was interesting for them to get a student from abroad and as long as you speak English everything will be fine! I live in Europe and I can tell you that you won't have a language problem in almost any European country.
So I'd suggest to proceed like this: pick a country you like -> use Google to find out about jobs in the physics sector in that country (every country has some kind of physics society where you'll find that information) -> email the employer -> book a flight ticket
 
Mépris said:
The original plan was to go all the way to a PhD but I don't think I'd want to stay in that environment for that long and I think starting to make some money earlier would be better.

Something that will help is if you finish your Ph.D. Having a Ph.D. gets you in front of the immigration queue.

Also something that will help a lot is if you go to school in country X.