1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting burned out

1. Nov 8, 2004 #1
    I'm most of the way through my first semster as a grad student going for my masters in physics. I'm not sure if it is just my workload this semester, but I am getting really burned out. I want to work in industry (either private or government, but i'm not particularly interested in education) and I was wondering what sort of insights people can offer about the careers they have gotten with a physics education.

Specifically, how much work is it? Right now, I always have something to do, I'm spending an average of about 12 hours a day on school work and I never get a day off. No job could possibly take this much time, but do you find yourselves working a lot of extra hours and weekends? I don't want a job that is going to be my entire life.

Secondly, are there career options besides teaching that don't require a lot of lab work? In case it turns out to be the material I am getting burned out on and not just school, what else can I do with a masters in physics?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There is a thread in this section of PF titled Employment in Physics. You may want to read it and the link that I gave.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?