Getting Rid of Wild Cats in Compound

• Thread starter rodsika
  • Start date
In summary, there is a feral cat in the compound that disturbs residents' sleep with its loud noises at night. It is difficult to catch because it avoids people, making it hard to transport it to a faraway place. Some suggestions for catching it include using a cage trap designed specifically for cats, or borrowing a Greyhound dog. However, the safest option would be to trap it, get it neutered/spayed, and release it back into the wild. Other options such as using sleeping pills or a dart rifle may be harmful to the cat or require a license. Another resident suggests a simple method of trapping the cat using a box and string.
rodsika
There is a wild cat in our compound that makes so much loud at night that it disturbs our sleep. We can't touch it because it avoids people so we can't just carry it outside or put it in far away place. Does anyone know what medicine that can make it sleep for 2 hours enough to transport it in a car and release it miles away, or any kind of trap where it can be confined in cage and transporting it elsewhere? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/outdoors/garden-center/havahart/two-door-large-animal-cage-trap-8940.html

Or this one from the same place. It's specifically designed for catching cats.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202072053&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC%2d%5f%2dproduct%2d2%2d%5f%2d100348069%2d%5f%2d202072053%2d%5f%2dN

An instruction video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJ3MjbJYQpU

Last edited:
It might be better to trap it, get it neutered or spayed, and then rerelease it. If you get rid of the feral cat, what will you do about the mice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTcPQwR5KiY

There are no rats in my compound.

I can't find those big cage trap in my place.

I prefer medicine. What is the safest to use. Maybe 5mg of Ambien (sleeping pills) would do?

Last resort would be to get darts rifle that can instantly immobilize an intruder just like in the movies. Does this need license and is it expensive?

I feel as though you have a good chance of accidentally killing it if you overdose, or ending up with a very unhappy cat in a car if you underdose. I also suggest the traps, perhaps you can order one online? Or maybe there is an animal control group nearby that can help you?

rodsika said:
There are no rats in my compound.
Because of the cat obviously :tongue:

Last resort would be to get darts rifle that can instantly immobilize an intruder just like in the movies. Does this need license and is it expensive?

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1994-01-30/

Just like in the movies is always a good plan

the noise is probably cats mating. i think you have more than one feral cat. Soon you'll have many more.

i don't like poison it is slow and the carcass will poison whatever eats it.If you give it sleeping pills it will hide and doze off where you can't find it.Any reasonably practical hardware store should have a trap. But it's not a shopping mall item.

Check Google and see where's nearest Tractor Supply store, or get your local Home Depot to order that trap.

Or borrow a Greyhound dog, they're good cat-catchers

rodsika said:
There is a wild cat in our compound ...
... transport it in a car and release it miles away, or any kind of trap where it can be confined in cage and transporting it elsewhere? Thanks.

In 3 months time, I expect a post from a resident of another compound asking how to get cge and transport a feral cat. :)

There is only one cat in my compound. I mentioned plural cats just like write statement.. "how to avoid men..".. or how to seduce women.. not "how to seduce woman". There.

There is one thing pecular about the cat. It doesn't meow the normal way but very coarse.. like "mu...".. are these the voice of feral cats?

I can't find any big cage in stores anywhere and it is costly to order overseas as it is big so I need to construct it from scratch.. so how does one construct one?

rodsika said:
I can't find any big cage in stores anywhere and it is costly to order overseas as it is big so I need to construct it from scratch.. so how does one construct one?
My neighborhood used to be over run with feral cats. A few months ago two ladies started catching them, spaying and neutering them, and then finding homes for the friendly ones and releasing the really wild ones.

The way they catch them is baby simple. They have a large box which they prop up on a stick. There is a string tied to the stick about 30 feet long. They put food under the box and wait for the cat to go under to eat the food. Then they pull the string, and the box drops, trapping the cat. Next you slide some thin piece of plywood under the box to close off the bottom. The whole thing can be lifted by two people onto a vehicle, and the cat driven away to wherever you want to take it. They have caught about 15 cats this way, and now it's very rare to see a feral cat around here anymore.

The large box they use is actually just a frame made of 1 x 2 and covered with window screen. It's fairly light. I'd say it's about four feet square. They generally do their cat trapping between 11 PM and 2 AM.

zoobyshoe said:
My neighborhood used to be over run with feral cats. A few months ago two ladies started catching them, spaying and neutering them, and then finding homes for the friendly ones and releasing the really wild ones.

The way they catch them is baby simple. They have a large box which they prop up on a stick. There is a string tied to the stick about 30 feet long. They put food under the box and wait for the cat to go under to eat the food. Then they pull the string, and the box drops, trapping the cat. Next you slide some thin piece of plywood under the box to close off the bottom. The whole thing can be lifted by two people onto a vehicle, and the cat driven away to wherever you want to take it. They have caught about 15 cats this way, and now it's very rare to see a feral cat around here anymore.

The large box they use is actually just a frame made of 1 x 2 and covered with window screen. It's fairly light. I'd say it's about four feet square. They generally do their cat trapping between 11 PM and 2 AM.

heh, just like in cartoons!

SHISHKABOB said:
heh, just like in cartoons!

I know. I was amazed at how low tech it all was.

Next you slide some thin piece of plywood under the box to close off the bottom. The whole thing can be lifted by two people onto a vehicle, and the cat driven away to wherever you want to take it. They have caught about 15 cats this way, and now it's very rare to see a feral cat around here anymore.

Build it with a stout bottom.
Put hardware store hinges on one end and a hasp on the other.

The cat will go ballistic when you approach the cage and you don't want to be lifting it up to slide the bottom in place. He'll go out through the gap.

Just snap the hasp and go.

my 2 cents

jim hardy said:
Build it with a stout bottom.
Put hardware store hinges on one end and a hasp on the other.

The cat will go ballistic when you approach the cage and you don't want to be lifting it up to slide the bottom in place. He'll go out through the gap.

Just snap the hasp and go.

my 2 cents
You don't have to lift it higher than the thickness of the bottom board, but your idea of building the bottom in is definitely better.

1. What is the most effective way to get rid of wild cats in my compound?

The most effective way to get rid of wild cats in your compound is to hire a professional animal control service. They have the expertise and resources to safely and humanely remove the cats from your property.

2. Is it legal to trap and relocate wild cats from my compound?

The laws regarding trapping and relocating wild cats vary by state and municipality. It is important to check with your local authorities before taking any action. In some areas, it may be illegal to trap and relocate wild cats without a permit.

3. Can I use poison to get rid of wild cats in my compound?

No, using poison to get rid of wild cats is not recommended. It is not only inhumane, but it can also harm other animals and even pets. Additionally, it is often not an effective method as cats are intelligent and may avoid the poisoned bait.

4. How can I prevent wild cats from entering my compound?

The best way to prevent wild cats from entering your compound is to make sure there are no food sources available. This means keeping garbage cans tightly sealed, not leaving out pet food, and keeping your yard free of any potential hiding spots. You can also install motion-activated sprinklers or lights to deter cats from entering your property.

5. What should I do if I find a litter of wild kittens in my compound?

If you find a litter of wild kittens in your compound, it is best to contact a local animal rescue organization. They can safely remove the kittens and provide them with proper care until they are old enough to be adopted. Attempting to handle or relocate the kittens yourself can be dangerous and may result in the kittens being abandoned by their mother.