Getting to this 4th order O.D.E.

• Thread starter hushish
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses equations related to the second moment of area and a fourth-order ordinary differential equation. There is confusion about a term involving t in one of the equations and a request for help with the final derivation of equation (4). The particular solution to the O.D.E is expected to be y(x) = k4(Rδ/E)x4/24, but it is not seen in equation (4). Clarification and assistance are needed to understand these equations.
hushish
Hi,

Try as I might, I cannot understand how equation (3) with the k4 term was derived. In equation (2), w is a function of t. But in the k4 term after equation (3), there is a t2 term in the denominator. Should it not be a t1 only? What am I missing? Please help.

Regards,

Steve

Attachments

• ODE query.PNG
    ODE query.PNG
    36.6 KB · Views: 466
Engineering news on Phys.org
The screenshot is not so clear. are these the equations?
##w = \sigma_x \frac{l}{R}=\frac{\sigma w t}{R} - \frac{Ety}{R^2} ##

and the substitution used is
##\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=\frac{M}{D}##
##D=\frac{Et^2}{12(1-\mu^2)}##
##w=\frac{d^2M}{dx^2}=D\frac{d^4y}{dx^4}##

This leads indeed to a different answer with t instead of ##t^2##, but I do not know where the error is. It could be in the answer or in the substitution rule. You might need to check the second moment of area for your specific geometry to see if it is correct.

Hi,

I think the copy of the paper is unclear. I think there is a t3 term in D. Sorry for the confusion...

BUT, I could use your help with the final derivation of equation (4)-see attached. I know that the particular solution to the 4th order O.D.E should look something like this:
y(x) = k4(Rδ/E)x4/24
But, I don't see that in equation (4). What am I missing?

Regards,

Steve

Attachments

• Deriving equation (4).PNG
    Deriving equation (4).PNG
    12.9 KB · Views: 535

Related to Getting to this 4th order O.D.E.

1. What is a 4th order O.D.E.?

A 4th order O.D.E. stands for a fourth-order ordinary differential equation. It is a type of differential equation that involves the derivatives of a function up to the fourth order.

2. Why is it important to study 4th order O.D.E.s?

4th order O.D.E.s are important in many scientific fields, including engineering, physics, and biology. They can model complex systems and help us understand the behavior of physical phenomena.

3. What are some common techniques for solving 4th order O.D.E.s?

There are several techniques for solving 4th order O.D.E.s, including the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and the Laplace transform method. Each technique has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of equations.

4. How do you know if a 4th order O.D.E. has a unique solution?

A 4th order O.D.E. will have a unique solution if it satisfies certain conditions, such as having well-defined initial or boundary conditions. This can be determined by analyzing the equation and its properties.

5. Are there any real-world applications of 4th order O.D.E.s?

Yes, 4th order O.D.E.s have many real-world applications. For example, they can be used to model the motion of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, or the growth of a population. They are also used in various fields of engineering for designing and analyzing systems.