Giancoli Physics Sixth Edition [Updated]

• Thread starter iRaid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker received their physics book and noticed some formulas labeled "Some Derivatives and Integrals." They are questioning if this content is necessary for the course, as they are only in pre-calculus. They suggest asking the teacher or a student who has completed the course for clarification. The speaker also mentions being surprised that calculus is not a corequisite for the AP physics course.
iRaid
Hey guys, yesterday I got my physics book in the mail and I started to browse through and look at some of the information. I noticed for 1 of the formulas and such that there was a title with "Some Derivatives and Integrals" and I'm wondering if we NEED to know this for this book, because I'll only be in Pre calc taking this.

What some of it says:
int[sin ax dx = -1/a cos ax
int[xos ax dx = 1/a sin ax

things like that..

Kinda scary for me, but why would my school only say pre calc? Btw, this is for AP Physics B not C..

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would ask the teacher of the course, or a student who has completed the course at your school. Those are the only people who can give you a reliable answer.

By the way, I too am rather baffled that calculus is not a corequisite for an AP physics course.

I've been looking through it and I can't find anything that has to do with calculus other than limits in the first 10 chapters, limits, I'm not worried about because they're easy (I've learned some things myself). And yeah any other opinions ;s

1. What is the content of "Giancoli Physics Sixth Edition [Updated]"?

"Giancoli Physics Sixth Edition [Updated]" is a comprehensive textbook that covers all major topics in physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and modern physics. It also includes updated content and examples to reflect the latest developments in the field.

2. Is "Giancoli Physics Sixth Edition [Updated]" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Giancoli Physics Sixth Edition [Updated]" is suitable for beginners as it provides a clear and thorough introduction to the fundamental concepts of physics. It also includes step-by-step explanations and examples to help students understand and apply the concepts.

3. Are there any online resources available for "Giancoli Physics Sixth Edition [Updated]"?

Yes, there are online resources available for "Giancoli Physics Sixth Edition [Updated]" such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and additional study materials. These resources can be accessed through the publisher's website or through a code provided with the textbook.

4. How does "Giancoli Physics Sixth Edition [Updated]" compare to previous editions?

"Giancoli Physics Sixth Edition [Updated]" includes updated content and examples to reflect the latest developments in the field of physics. It also has improved illustrations and diagrams to help students visualize and understand the concepts better. Additionally, it includes new end-of-chapter problems for students to practice and test their understanding.

5. Can "Giancoli Physics Sixth Edition [Updated]" be used for self-study?

Yes, "Giancoli Physics Sixth Edition [Updated]" can be used for self-study as it provides clear explanations and examples, along with practice problems and online resources for further practice. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry before using this textbook for self-study.