Give yourself night vision

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vision
In summary, This conversation is discussing a trick for giving yourself temporary night vision. By covering one eye for 20 minutes and then opening both eyes in a brightly lit room, your eyes will adjust and you will be able to see better in the dark. This trick is not new and has been taught in cub scouts. However, it may be more pronounced because you are determining the darkness level based on your uncovered eye. Some people may have already learned about this trick multiple times, while others may be hearing about it for the first time. It is important to be cautious when trying this trick as it can cause temporary blindness and severe ocular pain.
Physics news on Phys.org
Ooh, that's so cool, it's scary!

PS : You can still be productive with just the one eye.

Umm, so have anyone tried it yet?

I would say old and obvious, but that might just be me.

Actually, this little trick explains a lot why you can see the stars in the night sky (as long as the clouds are not fussing about).

Mattara said:
I would say old and obvious, but that might just be me.

These were the things you learned in cub scouts, back when kids were cub scouts. By the time I was in sixth grade, I had learned about this trick half a dozen times. But that might just be me.

Um, wow. Dark adaptation. Stop the presses!

- Warren

So how is this different from sitting in a dark room for 20 minutes?

The amount that your eyes adjust becomes pronounced.

I think the effect is more pronounced because you are determining how dark it is according to the uncovered eye (which will think "merely dim" is "complete darkness"). You will still see even better in the dark when you wake up at night.

THIS JUST IN! GIVE YOURSELF TEMPORARY BLINDNESS AND SEVERE OCULAR PAIN!

Just shut both your eyes for 20 minutes, and then open them while simultaneously turning on every 120 watt light bulb around!

AMAZING!

Chi Meson said:
I had learned about this trick half a dozen times. But that might just be me.
Must be. Most of us just have to learn something once.

Danger said:
Must be. Most of us just have to learn something once.
D'oh!

[10 chars]

D'oh! D'oh!

1. How can I give myself night vision?

Unfortunately, it is not possible for humans to give themselves night vision. Night vision is a natural ability that some animals possess due to specialized eye structures and cells that allow them to see in low light conditions. Humans do not have these structures and cannot develop them.

2. Are there any supplements or treatments that can improve night vision?

No, there are no known supplements or treatments that can improve night vision in humans. Certain vitamins and antioxidants may help maintain overall eye health, but they will not give you the ability to see in the dark.

3. Can wearing night vision goggles improve my night vision?

Wearing night vision goggles can certainly enhance your ability to see in low light conditions, but it does not actually improve your natural night vision. Night vision goggles work by amplifying existing light, making it easier for you to see. However, without the goggles, your night vision capabilities will remain the same.

4. Is it safe to try to give myself night vision using DIY methods?

No, it is not safe to try to give yourself night vision using DIY methods. Some online sources may claim that eating certain foods or performing exercises can improve your night vision, but these have not been scientifically proven and may even be harmful. It is best to stick to natural methods of improving overall eye health, such as getting enough sleep and eating a balanced diet.

5. Are there any alternatives to giving myself night vision?

While it is not possible for humans to have the same night vision capabilities as animals, there are alternatives that can help you see better in low light conditions. These include using night vision devices such as goggles or cameras, or using artificial lighting such as flashlights or streetlights. It is also important to allow your eyes to adjust slowly to the darkness in order to see better in low light.