Given as true f(x) = (1+1/x)^x is strictly increasing for x>=1

  • Thread starter Thread starter mebigp
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Increasing
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
mebigp
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Given as true f(x) = (1+1/x)^x is strictly increasing for x>=1 and that f(x) has horizontal asymptote y=e.

Prove that (n/3)^n< n! <(n/2)^n for all integers n>=6 ?

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


f(x)=(1+1/x)^x is increasing and approach e
prove (n/3)^n< n! <(n/2)^n for all n>=6

So I attempt to use f(x) to replace n but that will not work for the base case 1 because n>6
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org


mebigp said:

Homework Statement


Given as true f(x) = (1+1/x)^x is strictly increasing for x>=1 and that f(x) has horizontal asymptote y=e.

Prove that (n/3)^n< n! <(n/2)^n for all integers n>=6 ?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


f(x)=(1+1/x)^x is increasing and approach e
prove (n/3)^n< n! <(n/2)^n for all n>=6

So I attempt to use f(x) to replace n but that will not work for the base case 1 because n>6
The base case doesn't have to be n = 1. Use n = 6 for your base case.
 


Thanks Mark44

So I use k=F(x) from first function

Base k=6;

(k/3)^k< k! <(k/2)^k

64<180<729 true

K+1->;
((k+1)/3)^(k+1)< (k+1)! <((k+1)/2)^(k+1)

But why was I given as true f(x) = (1+1/x)^x all I did was make K=f(x)
Do I have to work out how to get a 6 from that function.( I don't think its possible)
 
Last edited: