Given f(x) = x^3 + 4x -5, show x-1 is a factor

• Thread starter DeanBH
  • Start date
In summary, the polynomial f(x) is given by f(x) = x^3 + 4x - 5. To show that x-1 is a factor, we can substitute 1 for x in the polynomial and get f(1)=0, which shows that it is indeed a factor. To express the polynomial in the form (x-1)(x^2+px+q), we can use the factor we found and end up with x^2+x+5. The next question asks us to show that the equation f(x) = 0 has one real root and asks for its value. By using the discriminant, we can determine that the equation has one real root and using the factor we found earlier
DeanBH
The polynomial f(x) is given by f(x) = x^3 + 4x -5

show x-1 is factor :

f(1)=0
1+4-5=0 Thus it's a factor.

express in form (x-1)(x^2+px+q)

ends up being X^2 + X + 5.

next question is :

hence show the equation f(x) = 0 has one real root state it's value.

i know i have to use b^2 -4ac. If i do that it's -19 which is <0 so it's 1 value. But how do I find the value. And why does all this stuff work.

My teacher is one that just tells you how to do it. I have no idea why I'm doing it and it makes no sense so it's harder to remember. I would get 1or 2 marks out of 3 for this.

Firstly i don't know how to find out what the real number is. and i don't know why this works.

explain plez?! 8D

Physics news on Phys.org
? Didn't you start off by showing that f(1)= 0??

And you are trying x so that f(x)= 0??

First a short lesson in discriminants, since you asked why you use them.

Remember the equation for the roots of any polynomial [tex]f \left(x \right) = a x^{2} + bx + c [/tex] is
[tex] x = \frac{-b + \sqrt{b^{2} - 4 a c}}{2a}[/tex] and [tex] x = \frac{-b - \sqrt{b^{2} - 4 a c}}{2a}[/tex]

The term [tex]b^{2} - 4 a c[/tex] is called the "discriminant". If the discriminant is negative, then in you would be taking the square root of a negative number, which you cannot do with the real numbers.

Now, how many roots must [tex]f \left(x \right) = x^{3} + 4 x - 5[/tex] have?
Do you know the value of any of the roots already?

DeanBH said:
Firstly i don't know how to find out what the real number is …

Hi DeanBH! :smile:

I think you're getting confused … the real number is 1, from the (x - 1) factor that you've already found.

When the question says "show the equation f(x) = 0 has one real root", it means exactly one real root (and two complex roots), instead of three real roots. That's all! :smile:

by working backwards, you can just show that x^3+4x-5 factors into (x^2+5)(x-1)

not sure if your teacher wants you to use the quadratic formula or not, but working backwards works just fine in some cases.

No, it doesn't.

(x2+ 5(x-1)= x3- x2+ 5x- 5, NOT x3+ 4x- 5. Did you mean (x2+ x+ 5)(x- 1)?

i don't think it's is a difficult question ? .

I believe that's already been pointed out several times!

HallsofIvy said:
No, it doesn't.

(x2+ 5(x-1)= x3- x2+ 5x- 5, NOT x3+ 4x- 5. Did you mean (x2+ x+ 5)(x- 1)?

gah my bad, yes i ment (x2+ x+ 5)(x- 1)

1. How do you determine if x-1 is a factor of f(x)?

To determine if x-1 is a factor of f(x), we can use the Remainder Theorem which states that if f(a) = 0, then (x-a) is a factor of f(x). We can substitute x=1 into f(x) and if the result is equal to 0, then x-1 is a factor of f(x).

2. Can you use synthetic division to show that x-1 is a factor of f(x)?

Yes, we can use synthetic division to show that x-1 is a factor of f(x). We would set up the synthetic division using the coefficients of f(x) and the divisor x-1. If the remainder is equal to 0, then x-1 is a factor of f(x).

3. What is the difference between a factor and a root?

A factor is a number or expression that divides evenly into another number or expression. In this case, x-1 is a factor of f(x) if it divides evenly into f(x). A root, on the other hand, is a number that when substituted into a polynomial function, results in a value of 0. In this case, if we substitute x=1 into f(x) and the result is 0, then 1 is a root of f(x).

4. How does finding factors help in solving polynomial equations?

Finding factors helps in solving polynomial equations by reducing the degree of the polynomial. When we can factor a polynomial, we can then set each factor equal to 0 and solve for the roots. This can make solving polynomial equations much simpler and more efficient.

5. Can a polynomial have multiple factors?

Yes, a polynomial can have multiple factors. In fact, a polynomial with a degree of n will have n factors. In this case, if x-1 is a factor of f(x), then f(x) can also be factored as (x-1)(x^2+x+5), showing that there are multiple factors of f(x).