1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given points determine plane as parallel

1. Jun 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Identify the plane as parallel to the xy, xz and yz plane and sketch a graph

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I want to show you how I come up with these answers. Please click on the video (2 mins).

It's a youtube link.

After watching the video please tell me whether my method is valid.

I will provide more example to verify:

#1 y = -4 xz plane
    #2 z = -3 xy plane
    #3 x = 3 xz plane

The followings are something I thought about... I don't know if the questions will support these extensions:

<2,0,3> xz plane <0,2,3> yz plane
    <3,-2,1> xy plane

Do you guys agree?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2010 #2
    I'm not sure that I completely understand the question.

If you fix an x coordinate, then the resulting points form a plane parallel to the yz-plane. Simlarly if you fix a y coordinate, the resulting plane is parallel to the xz-plane, etc.

Does this help?

4. Jun 5, 2010 #3
    Thank you mrohn1. Before I answer your question, I would like to claify something.

Does the question (Identify.....) always supports given situations like <2,0,3>, or it only works with a fixed line such as x = 2, z = 3, y = -1.

Thank you.

5. Jun 5, 2010 #4
    Sorry...I'm not sure what you mean. Is <2,0,3> a point? Are you being asked what planes this point lies on?

6. Jun 5, 2010 #5
    What I want to know is whether the same question can be apply to situation such as a vector <-1,2,1>. I believe z = -3 can be treated as vector <0,0,-3>.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook