Given two integrals find the third

• Thread starter Qube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of a function from -3 to 3, given the integrals of the same function from 0 to 1 and from 1 to 3. However, without more information about the function, there is not enough information to find the integral from -3 to 3. The context of the question may provide more information about the function.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The integral of f(x) from 0 to 1 is 3, and the integral of f(x) from 1 to 3 is -2. What is the integral of f(x) from -3 to 3?

Homework Equations

FTC.

The Attempt at a Solution

From the equations given I know:

F(1) - F(0) = 3, and

F(3) - F(1) = -2.

How do I find F(3) - F(-3)?

I don't know if the function is symmetrical so that doesn't help.

The closest I can do is solve for F(3). But where do I get F(-3)?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct - there is not enough information presented above.

Consider:$$f(x)=\left \{ \begin{array}{rl} a-1 & :\; x<0\\ 3 & :\; 0\leq x < 1\\ -1 & :\; 1\leq x \end{array}\right.\\ \int_0^1f(x)\;\text{d}x=3\\ \int_1^3f(x)\;\text{d}x = -2$$...fitting the description given, and: $$\int_{-3}^3f(x)\;\text{d}x=a$$...where a can be anything.
There is no unique solution.

You need to look back over the context of the question to see if there is not something that the problem is assuming you already know.
Like, maybe you have been using only certain kinds of functions recently?

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
You need to look back over the context of the question to see if there is not something that the problem is assuming you already know.

Oops, missed it! I missed the operative word in the question:

"Now suppose that the integral of .."

The question was part of a series of problems with context provided by previous problems.

Everybody does that at least once :)

What is the concept of "Given two integrals find the third"?

The concept of "Given two integrals find the third" is a mathematical problem where two integrals are given and the goal is to find the third integral that satisfies a particular relationship or property with the given integrals.

What are the common types of relationships between two integrals in this problem?

The common types of relationships between two integrals in this problem include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and composition.

How do you determine the third integral when given two integrals and a specific relationship?

To determine the third integral, you must first identify the relationship between the given integrals. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as substitution, u-substitution, or integration by parts to manipulate the given integrals and solve for the third integral.

What are some strategies for solving "Given two integrals find the third" problems?

Some strategies for solving these types of problems include breaking down the given integrals into simpler forms, using known integration techniques, and using algebraic manipulation to find a relationship between the given integrals and the third integral.

Can you provide an example of "Given two integrals find the third" problem and its solution?

Example: Given the integrals ∫x dx and ∫sin(x) dx, find the third integral if the relationship between the two given integrals is multiplication.

Solution: Using the product rule of integration, we can rewrite the relationship as ∫(x*sin(x)) dx = ∫(x^2) dx. Therefore, the third integral is ∫(x^2) dx + C, where C is a constant of integration.