Confirming Stationary Minima & Convexity of a Function

In summary, there is no guarantee that a function with only one stationary minimum point is a convex function. The definition of a convex function may vary, but in terms of a 2-d Cartesian graph, a function can be concave up, concave down, or neither. The concept of convexity is more commonly used in multi-dimensional spaces.
ahamdiheme
If the stationary points of a function are minimum points does that qualify the function to be a convex function?
Also, if the function has only one stationary minimum point does that mean that that point is its global minimum?
Can someone please confirm these for me
Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ahamdiheme said:
If the stationary points of a function are minimum points does that qualify the function to be a convex function?
Not necessarily. Consider the function f, whose graph is the union over all even integers n of the functions f_n(x) = (x + n)^2 each defined over the interval [n-1, n+1]. All of f's stationary points are minimum points, but f is not convex on [n, n + 2] for even n. Perhaps you mean critical points instead of stationary points?

ahamdiheme said:
Also, if the function has only one stationary minimum point does that mean that that point is its global minimum?
Thank you

If "stationary minimum" is the same as "local minimum", then not necessarily.

Look at the graph of [itex]-x^4 + x^2[/tex]. You can see that it has only one local minimum at x=0, but it's global minimum is at ±∞.

Considering the shape of the graph, that makes it convex right?

I may possibly not be very well versed in the subject, but I'm fairly sure that a graph is either "concave up", "concave down", or neither. I have never used the term convex to describe a 2-d Cartesian graph. The graph I supplied is concave for one interval and concave down at two intervals. You can solve at these points of inflection (where the graph changes from concave up to concave down) by using the second derivative test.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_derivative_test

1. What is a stationary point?

A stationary point is a point on a graph where the derivative of the function is equal to zero. This means that the slope of the function at that point is flat and does not increase or decrease.

2. How do you determine if a stationary point is a minimum or maximum?

To determine if a stationary point is a minimum or maximum, you can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative is positive, then the stationary point is a minimum. If the second derivative is negative, then the stationary point is a maximum.

3. What is a convex function?

A convex function is a function where any line segment connecting two points on the graph of the function will always lie above the graph. This means that the function is always "curving up" and has no "dips".

4. How do you confirm the convexity of a function?

To confirm the convexity of a function, you can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative is always positive, then the function is convex. If the second derivative is always negative, then the function is concave.

5. Can a function have both a minimum and a maximum?

Yes, a function can have both a minimum and a maximum. This occurs when the function has a stationary point that is both the highest and lowest point on the graph within a certain interval. This is known as a saddle point or a point of inflection.