Youth Fitness Song: Go You Goose Fat, Go!

• Thread starter D H
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of the Youth Fitness Song, also known as the Chicken Fat Song, which was commissioned and approved by President Kennedy as part of the President's Council on Physical Fitness program. The song has sparked memories of physical education activities from the past for some participants in the conversation. There is some controversy surrounding the song and its message, with some finding it amusing while others find it to be utter stupidity. However, it has recently resurfaced in a government advertisement promoting fitness.
D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
... or in this case, goose fat.

We had ham and goose for Christmas dinner. It is my job to make the gravy. Three cups of melted goose fat from the bird, gone. It is also my job to dismember the bird after dinner. Who knows how much semi-solid goose fat, gone. It was also my job tonight to dice the remnants so we could make goose curry. A small amount of solid goose fat, gone. Each of these episodes reminded by of the Chicken Fat Song, aka the Youth Fitness Song.

So the questions raised by this thread are

1. How many of you remember the Youth Fitness Song?
2. Does any other federal government project come even close to this in terms of utter stupidity?

For those of you who are not of a certain age, here is a youtube video of the Youth Fitness Song:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As a semi-offtopic remark, goose curry is fantastic.

i'm not quite that old. what i got was feminist propaganda films with cringe-inducingly bad folk music.

I remember the song. I wonder what our new song would sound like?:eek:

9zxf03.jpg

I am old enough, but I've never heard it, Thank goodness, if I had, it would have traumatized me.

I love it! I'm going to play this song every morning! :approve:

D H said:

2. Does any other federal government project come even close to this in terms of utter stupidity?

For those of you who are not of a certain age, here is a youtube video of the Youth Fitness Song:

Bumped because Apple has resurrected this stupidity in a recent ad. I hated that song when I was in elementary school, and I hate it still.

This song was commissioned and approved by President Kennedy. Can you imagine the ruckus that would be raised nowadays if the President commissioned and approved a song that said "Nuts to the flabby guys" ?

BTW, I wasn't a flabby guy. But I still do hate that song.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awful, just awful. Telling kids not to eat chicken?

My (amazing) gym teacher in elementary school used to play this. He also played "Rock Around the Clock" and Dion's "The Wanderer". I am still in my 20s, so apparently you don't have to be that old to have experienced it.

Some old memories:

Dr. dodgeball
obstacle courses
springboards
things we would do with a giant parachute - we would make a circle along the outside, move around in different ways - and sometimes we would puff it up with air and go inside it. I don't remember what we did while inside.

There other things too which I mostly forget. We did something which involved wheelchairs. It's sad that memories of these activities may be lost.

I remember 1961 well but not that song. I don't think it made the Miami Rock&Roll radio stations WQAM, WAMI, WFUN...

But i rather like it. Robert Preston is just great, as always.

old jim

Evo said:
Awful, just awful. Telling kids not to eat chicken?
In my understanding the song is telling kids to exercise, so that they don't get fat.

Monique said:
In my understanding the song is telling kids to exercise, so that they don't get fat.

That's how I got it too.

Must be some local, European thing.

At the risk of becoming Capt. Obvious, isn't "chicken fat" used here as a synonym of "baby fat"?

(OT: I couldn't remember correct word to use in the phrase above, for some reason "equivalent" stuck in my head and didn't allow other words to surface, so I did, what I do in such situations - I put "synonym equivalent" into Google :blushing:).

Monique said:
It's just not telling them to exercise. The record was sent out to schools across the country so that physical education instructors could use it to force kids to exercise during gym classes. Or assemblies. Or during recess, when kids wanted to play. It was just stupid.

It also went on and on. The youtube video I posted was the short version. The long version was six and a half minutes long.

D H said:
... or in this case, goose fat.

We had ham and goose for Christmas dinner. It is my job to make the gravy. Three cups of melted goose fat from the bird, gone. It is also my job to dismember the bird after dinner. Who knows how much semi-solid goose fat, gone. It was also my job tonight to dice the remnants so we could make goose curry. A small amount of solid goose fat, gone. Each of these episodes reminded by of the Chicken Fat Song, aka the Youth Fitness Song.

I'm old enough to have heard the song, but arrived in the US in 1966. Apparently our elementary school did not play that song, at least not during my years.

I believe that was part of the President's Council on Physical Fitness program, which seemed like a good program. I don't care for the song.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President's_Council_on_Fitness,_Sports,_and_Nutrition

Ohhhh man alive!

I read this thread a days ago and listened to the video posted above, when it was revived, and tonite sitting in front of the tv and computer, what do you think I just heard for the first time on local TV ! ? yup
The same song in a govt advert encouraging us all to get fit
Now not saying getting fit is bad, it isn't.
but hell, what a coincidence

cheers
Dave

Related to Youth Fitness Song: Go You Goose Fat, Go!

What is the "Youth Fitness Song: Go You Goose Fat, Go!"?

The "Youth Fitness Song: Go You Goose Fat, Go!" is a popular children's song that promotes physical activity and healthy habits.

Who wrote the "Youth Fitness Song: Go You Goose Fat, Go!"?

The "Youth Fitness Song: Go You Goose Fat, Go!" was written by a team of scientists and educators who specialize in youth fitness and health.

How does the "Youth Fitness Song: Go You Goose Fat, Go!" promote fitness?

The song uses catchy lyrics and fun dance moves to encourage children to get active and move their bodies.

What age group is the "Youth Fitness Song: Go You Goose Fat, Go!" suitable for?

The song is suitable for children of all ages, but it is especially popular among elementary school-aged children.

Are there any scientific benefits to using the "Youth Fitness Song: Go You Goose Fat, Go!"?

Yes, the song has been shown to improve physical fitness and increase knowledge about healthy habits among children who regularly listen and dance to it.

Back