God? Schmod! Simplifying the Complex Notion of a Creator for Human Advancement

• Thread starter nathaniel8
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's belief that discussions about God are unnecessary and only add unnecessary complexity. They argue against the idea of a creator and suggest that humanity should let go of the concept of God in order to advance and explore the universe. The conversation also touches on the idea of personal beliefs about God.
nathaniel8
Enough mit der talk about god already! I say: "god? schmod!"
The word 'god' adds nothing to understanding anything; it just adds a layer of complexity.
Some people say that this complex cosmos could not 'just happen' without a creator... and then they propose AN EVEN MORE COMPLEX CREATOR (god) who 'just happened'!
For the sake of human advancement... jettison this primitive, barbaric notion before our voyage to the stars. We have enough carry-on baggage, like psychological 'creatures of the Id' (reference to Forbidden Planet movie). Why contaminate other worlds with our reptile thinking? Perhaps it's good that humanity is quaranteened to this solar system by the speed of light. It gives us time to 'grow up'.
God? Schmod!

Physics news on Phys.org
Didn't know I'd ever get to say this to anyone... but spellcheck is your friend.

What do you think he misspelled?

selfAdjoint said:
What do you think he misspelled?

I assume "mit" and "der" are intentional mispellings.

quarantined is spelled incorrectly. I'm also not sure if "Perhaps it's good that humanity is quaranteened to this solar system by the speed of light." is philosophical or drug induced in nature.

hmmm... i used the spell check provided by the website.

Odd...

It's certainly not a word and is not coming up as one in various dictionaries and other program's dictionaries.

Very curious...

Last edited:
:biggrin:
There are German words in there, you can look them up here: http://dict.leo.org/

I will translate it for you:
Enough mit der talk about god already
=Enough with the talk about god already

nathaniel8 said:
The word 'god' adds nothing to understanding anything; it just adds a layer of complexity.
Some people say that this complex cosmos could not 'just happen' without a creator... and then they propose AN EVEN MORE COMPLEX CREATOR (god) who 'just happened'!
For the sake of human advancement... jettison this primitive, barbaric notion before our voyage to the stars. We have enough carry-on baggage, like psychological 'creatures of the Id' (reference to Forbidden Planet movie). Why contaminate other worlds with our reptile thinking? Perhaps it's good that humanity is quaranteened to this solar system by the speed of light. It gives us time to 'grow up'.
God? Schmod!

Who said anything about God? You're the only one who's brought him up.

Buddhist believe we are our own god.
amen to that.

1. Who or what is God?

As a scientist, I cannot provide a definitive answer to this question as it falls outside of the realm of scientific inquiry. The concept of God is highly subjective and varies greatly among individuals and cultures. Some view God as a supernatural being, while others see God as a universal energy or cosmic force. Ultimately, the definition of God is a matter of personal belief and faith.

2. Does God exist?

Again, as a scientist, I cannot definitively answer this question. The existence of God is a matter of belief and faith, rather than empirical evidence. Some individuals believe in the existence of God based on personal experiences or religious teachings, while others may not believe in the existence of a higher power at all. Science cannot prove or disprove the existence of God.

3. Is there a scientific basis for the concept of God?

This question is a matter of debate and interpretation. Some scientists argue that the concept of God is not scientifically verifiable and therefore does not have a scientific basis. Others may argue that certain aspects of the natural world, such as the complexity of the human brain or the fine-tuning of the universe, can be seen as evidence of a higher power or intelligent design. Ultimately, the idea of a scientific basis for God is subjective and open to interpretation.

4. Why do people believe in God?

The belief in God is a deeply personal and complex matter, influenced by a variety of factors such as cultural upbringing, personal experiences, and the need for a sense of purpose and meaning in life. Some individuals may find comfort and solace in the idea of a higher power, while others may see belief in God as a way to explain the unknown or unexplainable. Ultimately, each person's reasons for believing in God may vary.

5. What evidence is there for the existence of God?

As mentioned before, the existence of God is a matter of belief and faith rather than empirical evidence. While some individuals may point to personal experiences or religious texts as evidence of God's existence, these cannot be scientifically verified. Ultimately, the belief in God is a matter of faith and cannot be proven through scientific means.